New StyleCNC 1325r cnc plasma cut height problem

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

New StyleCNC 1325r cnc plasma cut height problem

Post by Daniel DK »

Hello.
I just bought a "StyleCNC 1325r" and started testing it. I set the IHC and percing height to the specifications but the first second its piercing through the material perfectly but right after the torch raises a quite a few millimeters and just in the last part of the cut it goes down to the proper height again.

I have tried a bit of everything within what i know about plasma cutting but nothing seems to workπŸ˜…

Hope some of you have any ideasπŸ˜¬πŸ™Œ
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New cnc plasma cut height problem

Post by jimcolt »

For your height control you should have a Voltage setting. The arc voltage , as measured from the plasma torch electrode to the workpiece is the feedback that is used for controlling torch to work distance during real time cutting. If you set a higher voltage......you will see the torch run higher during the cut, consequently a lower voltage will move the torch closer to the workpiece. The important thing about height is the physical height of the torch......and the physical height should be listed in your plasma torch operator manual. The Hypertherm Duramax torch (as an example) is designed to cut most materials at .060" (1.5 mm) torch to work distance. If the torch is higher than that....then expect excess edge angularity and top dross on your cuts. To adjust the height simply set a lower preset voltage that maintains the height at the cut chart suggested distance of .06". The arc voltage/ height relationship changes with consumable wear (torch gets closer as the electrode wears), changes with material thickness (notice that the arc voltage suggestion on the cut charts shows a higher voltage on thicker materials), and changes with speed (slowing down will cause the torch to move closer.....if you decide to cut slower, then you must increase arc voltage to maintain the correct physical height. If your cnc machine and height control is equipped with "ohmic sensing", the arc voltage / height relationship becomes automated as long as the physical cut height is set correctly. Ohmic sensing is an important function for plasma cutting on a cnc machine....I would not own one without it! Jim Colt
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Jim makes some great points about the relationship between arc voltage (or divided arc voltage), cutting speed and cut height. It also may be helpful to let us know which particular THC unit you have that was supplied with your table. There are some here with great knowledge as to the setting and calibration of these units. Also what controller and software you are using. Tom and some of the others have lots of experience with some of these thc units and hopefully will chime in. There may also be a setting for hysteresis or response time, yours sounds like it takes a while to settle back down to the preset cut height.

David
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Daniel DK »

Just tried it out Jim, that did the trick, many thanksπŸ˜πŸ™Œ
Thanks for the advise David, i'll remember it till next timeπŸ’ͺ
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Daniel DK wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:41 am Just tried it out Jim, that did the trick, many thanksπŸ˜πŸ™Œ
Thanks for the advise David, i'll remember it till next timeπŸ’ͺ
Daniel - very happy to hear you are up and cutting again! What specific settings did you use to correct your problem?

Thanks,
David
Daniel DK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Daniel DK »

I basically just adjusted the arc voltage down and had a little playing around with the amps, plus I double checked the pierce height. It cuts better and better now😁
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Daniel DK wrote: ↑Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:20 am I basically just adjusted the arc voltage down and had a little playing around with the amps, plus I double checked the pierce height. It cuts better and better now😁
Great to hear you've got it dialed in now. A big thanks to Jim Colt for providing you the information that you needed.

David

Return to β€œVarious Manufacturers Forum”