How FAST Things Change

General software related questions should be posted here.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

How FAST Things Change

Post by Joe Jones »

Yesterday, I had a long conversation with a friend ... I am 65, not in the best health, and tired. Yes, I am fairly good with DesignEdge, and I can draw and cut anything you can imagine, just like a lot of other guys (and gals :wink: ) here. I have added all of the lasers too. I have seven of them now.

But the conversation was, "Joe, you have plenty of money. Do you REALLY need to go out to a hot shop to make metal art, and then sell it online or in a vendor mall, or at a flea market etc.? Why not just sell off everything and enjoy the rest of your life?!?" I was nearly ready to start having one MASSIVE sale of machines, tools, equipment, materials, etc., and convert everything to cold, hard CASH, with the idea of enjoying life by touring what is left of America on my Goldwing, without any worries! Maybe go tour Austria, Ireland, Australia, etc. on a motorcycle ... If I sold everything in the shops, I could probably raise a million dollars.

Today, I received a phone call from an old flame. She is living in a Hellish situation, and she is stuck there. So I offered (once again :roll: ) to let her move here to Kentucky, into my home with her son (from another guy) and RELAX. She could get a job, or go to WKU for higher education, or start a small business here, or whatever she wanted to do. I'm not trying to reignite an old flame. I just want to provide a nice home setting for her and her son, so she can enjoy life again, and the general companionship would be nice too.

She is very creative, and good at business (a skill I sorely lack :lol: ) We talked about working together to make art from metal, woods, plastics, foams, etc., and have some FUN making stuff to sell here and there. Her son (11) spends ALL of his time sitting on a sofa staring at a iPad playing video games. Technology is ROBBING him of his childhood. But she is scared to let him out to wander the streets of San Diego because of all of the child abductions, pedophiles, etc., being so close to the border and all of that. I told her, "I can teach your son how to use all of these tools and machines and computer software programs, and we can all work together to make things to sell, and sell them for FUN at craft fairs and swap meets, rather than for a livelihood. Our next meal does NOT hinge on whether or not we sell ANYTHING."

So now the conversation is finally about her getting out of that bad situation and coming here to live with me, with her son. Suddenly, the shops full of tools and machines are a big PLUS here, rather than just a pile of TOYS that I have not really been using since the covid zombie apocalypse. What a DIFFERENCE a day makes.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How FAST Things Change

Post by acourtjester »

Well Joe maybe helping a younger boy develop some skills will be a new adventure for you. I find sharing with others some of the things I do gives me joy, a chance to share an experience and see them smile, knowing the wheels are turning in their heads. It is no way like a class room setting, but you are teaching on a more personal level. An 11 year old does need someone to bond with, put him on the back of the Goldwing and get him off the couch go get a burger. And maybe she will help you blow the dust of some of the tools you have, having someone to talk to in the shop is good too.
Have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:04 pm Well Joe maybe helping a younger boy develop some skills will be a new adventure for you. I find sharing with others some of the things I do gives me joy, a chance to share an experience and see them smile, knowing the wheels are turning in their heads. It is no way like a class room setting, but you are teaching on a more personal level. An 11 year old does need someone to bond with, put him on the back of the Goldwing and get him off the couch go get a burger. And maybe she will help you blow the dust of some of the tools you have, having someone to talk to in the shop is good too.
Have fun
Tom
Gonna do ALL of that, and more! His father is a gambler and an alcoholic.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:08 pm Gonna do ALL of that, and more! His father is a gambler and an alcoholic.
Joe
Doesn't sound like a Father to me.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:20 pm Doesn't sound like a Father to me.
He is the "donor."

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

martyy
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by martyy »

I think the idea of selling off all my tools and just having fun the rest of my life sounds like a blast (for about a week), then I would realize the truth. Ultimately I enjoy doing the things I do, without it, I expect I would feel I have no purpose or value. If you can help her and her child that would be a blessing. Be honest with yourself and do what you think is right. I part with tools when I realize I will no longer need them and it is usually to help fund the next tool.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Wow, definitely some big potential changes on the horizon for all three of you! I wish you all the best and hope it works out great for all!
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

I would be so bored and miserable without my shop and my tools, I wouldn't pull the trigger on that one Joe. Selling some stuff you don't use to fund some adventures would be one thing but I certainly couldn't see a guy like you happy without a shop and projects to do. As for your friend I would certainly take that one slow, wouldn't be moving her in that's for sure, can lead to a lot of trouble down the road. Move to town and work together sounds like a good start.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

She is the gal I love. I know that we parted ways many years ago, but I still care very much about her, and I would like to re-establish a relationship IF she wanted it to go in that direction. Frankly, I am expecting America to fall to Communism before we ever get together again, but miracles still happen. The FedNOW program is in effect, and it won't be too long before people start waking up to the New World Order invasion into their lives, but by then it will be too late.

I am taking life one single day at a time. That is all I can handle.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

martyy

Post by martyy »

WE WILL NOT FALL! Head up, Eyes Front..... Joe, the phrase "one day at a time" was meant for times like these.
Joe Jones wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:23 pm She is the gal I love. I know that we parted ways many years ago, but I still care very much about her, and I would like to re-establish a relationship IF she wanted it to go in that direction. Frankly, I am expecting America to fall to Communism before we ever get together again, but miracles still happen. The FedNOW program is in effect, and it won't be too long before people start waking up to the New World Order invasion into their lives, but by then it will be too late.

I am taking life one single day at a time. That is all I can handle.

Joe
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

martyy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:50 pm WE WILL NOT FALL! Head up, Eyes Front..... Joe, the phrase "one day at a time" was meant for times like these.
:Like :Love :Like
topkote
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by topkote »

Joe do what you think is best and don't look back, more importantly keep moving.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

aaaaand we're back to square one again. She wants to stay in CommieFornia. I sure hope she doesn't regret her decision, when her SON comes home from public school after a few weeks of indoctrination by the mentally deranged freaks in the public school system and tells her he thinks he was born in the wrong body and now he wants to cut his manhood off. Newsom just shoved a law through that states, if she does not wholeheartedly SUPPORT this insanity, CommieFornia WILL take her child away from her for "failure to support and encourage your child's gender dysphoria..." Well, he is not MY son. I would not send a child to public school in CommieFornia under any circumstances.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “General Discussion”