Which plasma cutter to buy for PlasmaCam?

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
hsagteach
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Which plasma cutter to buy for PlasmaCam?

Post by hsagteach »

I have a PlasmaCam DHC2 with advanced height control. I teach high school ag and we currently use it in my ag metal fab (welding) and ag mechanics class to make a few custom pieces and signs. 95% of the time we are cutting around 14 ga sheets but occasionally do 1/4 to 3/8 steel. We currently use a Miller Spectrum 875 with hand torch but I haven't been happy with it for this use and the lack of fine cut consumables for it. We currently use a very old Thermal Dynamics CutMaster 80XL as our hand cutting setup but consumables for it are difficult to find and quite pricey when I do find them. I have budgeted $4,000 to purchase a new plasma machine and torch. My plan is to retire the Thermal Dynamics, move the Miller to be our hand cutting torch, and purchase a new machine for the PlasmaCam. I had originally planned on purchasing the Hypertherm 45XP but wanted to get the groups opinion on this. Is this the best setup? Should I get the machine torch or stick with the hand torch (I've seen some debate/disagreement between group members and PlasmaCam on this)? What other cables may I need for this to all work? Basically, I need to get a list together of everything I need, get a quote, then get it ordered so I can have it close to the time that school starts in mid August. Thanks!
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Which plasma cutter to buy for PlasmaCam?

Post by Joe Jones »

Why doesn't anyone indicate where they are located?

I suggest the HyperTherm 45XP with the "Shorty" machine torch, and my six inch rail riser kit. I know that HyperTherm sells their new generation plasma machine with the cartridge consumables, but I think that it would be more costly in a school situation where students would quickly go through the VERY expensive cartridges.

14 gauge steel is best, because there are minimal warping issues, and if you use cold roll steel, you will get the best results. The 45XP can cut 1/2" steel plate without much effort.

ADD the "Big Three" software upgrades, Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control and Advanced Height control, and if the budget allows for it, add the CSU Customizable Size Upgrade so you can take full advantage of the six inches of Z that my kit provides. Jon Derby sells a kit that is less expensive, and it offers 4 inches of Z rather than 6".

Add the automatic nesting, which is essential for a class setting where you may want to make multiple copies of a widget for many students. The nesting program gives you the best yield from a sheet of material.

Forget about the pipe cutting accessory unless you are prepared to spend another $6,000.00 for a separate gantry and carriage, a separate torch, and the $2,000.00 pipe cutting software upgrade.

I teach DesignEdge software online via ZOOM, and I do not charge for this. I do it for fun. I also visit table owners (and schools) to teach the software and table operation ON-SITE for a daily training fee.

If this table is new to you, I can help you get up to speed faster than self-learning. I can help you develop a curriculum for your class too.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I would recommend getting the 45xp with cpc port and machine torch.

You will need the proper torch control cable,
https://www.490creations.com/products/c ... face-cable

and I would suggest getting a magnetic breakaway torch mount as well.
https://www.490creations.com/products/s ... orch-mount

I own and use both the 45xp and Powermax 85 with my Plasmacam DHC2 and Plasmacam tube cutter. The FineCuts work great for material thickness 10 ga. and thinner.

David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

i'm with these guys, the 45XP is a great choice for what your doing. I am not a fan of the Sync cartridges however in your application it may be a bonus to eliminate consumable combination/installation mistakes by your students. Let us know what you end up doing.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Here is a cheat sheet for ordering and setting up a new 45XP with the PlasmaCAM family of tables (Original DHC requires a more expensive Snap'NCut kit than shown on the cheat sheet). Hope it helps!

45XP Plasmacam Setup.pdf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 pm Here is a cheat sheet for ordering and setting up a new 45XP with the PlasmaCAM family of tables (Original DHC requires a more expensive Snap'NCut kit than shown on the cheat sheet). Hope it helps!

45XP Plasmacam Setup.pdf
Robert - thanks for posting that! I had seen it before, and now have it on file in my Plasmacam folder for future reference.

David
hsagteach
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by hsagteach »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 pm Here is a cheat sheet for ordering and setting up a new 45XP with the PlasmaCAM family of tables (Original DHC requires a more expensive Snap'NCut kit than shown on the cheat sheet). Hope it helps!

45XP Plasmacam Setup.pdf
This is exactly what I need. Thank you SO MUCH!
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

No problem, happy to help!

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”