Anyone help? I've got LOTS of stainless steel (3mm) dross

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
iglesiasleonardo
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Anyone help? I've got LOTS of stainless steel (3mm) dross

Post by iglesiasleonardo »

Hi everyone,

I've configured a Hypertherm powermax45XP using a CNC, with the manuals parameters (amps, speed, cut height, and more). I'm trying to cut a 3mm stainless steel plate. Powermax45XP is set to 45 amps and i'm using a filtered air compressor with 85-90 PSI.

I've checked my consumables and they are brand new:
- Shield number = 220673
- Nozzle number = 220941
- Electrode = 220669

I'm using sheetcam with the following parameters:
Jet tool.png
My problem is i'm getting to much dross at the bottom, it looks really ugly. I can grind it, but it just makes life much harder and i believe it should be piercing a lot better. This is what it looks like:
20230615_110231.jpg
I've tried different speeds, from 2800 to 4000mm/min and the result did not change much. I'm getting the same amount of dross. What can i do to solve it?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Anyone help? I've got LOTS of stainless steel (3mm) dross

Post by weldguy »

The electrode part# you list is for the old Powermax 45 and not the Powermax 45XP. Can you confirm which plasma cutter your using as well as the electrode part# again? Please reply with this info and I am sure myself or someone else can take it to the next step but no point in trying to sort out settings until we know exactly what we are working with.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”