Software combination

General software related questions should be posted here.
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Software combination

Post by Revinvoss »

I was wondering if there is a good combination software app that incorporates job design, post processor and CNC g-code controller in one program?
Just trying to quicken the time from design to cutting in one program.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Software combination

Post by weldguy »

What plasma table are you working with?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Fusion 360 will cover the cad/cam and post processing. But not the controller.
Plasmacam Design Edge does the cad/cam, post processing, and controller - but only for the Plasmacam tables.
Many use different programs for cad, depending on the application. Inkscape, CorelDraw, SolidEdge, etc. for cad. SheetCam for cam. The controller is often table specific for OEM tables. For diy there are many choices.
David
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

I am unfortunately using a Premier Plasma table setup, I use Inkscape, SheetCAM and Mach3.
I was just wondering if it would be better to change software for this table. I seem to be having an issue with the THC. It just seems to not work. I also find that what ever torch height I set in SheetCAM tool set the plasma CNC always goes to the same height and does not change. I am new to all this so I am finding this issue a pain. Premier Plasma has not been very helpful as I am beginning to think they are a very small company with poor customer service. I should have gone with a better more establish company. So any help getting this table working the way it should, would bet a GREAT help.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Changing the controller software may require you buying other electronics to get things working. Now help is here so you get that table functioning.
Are you using Mach 3 as the controlling software, or something else. Many companies use Mach 3 but build different screen sets to make it look different, but it is easy to switch back to the normal Mach 3 appearances. To make it easier to work with you remotely. Also what brand of THC are you using. It may be things are not configured correctly. One thing is you will learn as things get going, which is a plus for later on.
Are you a DIY type , hobbyist, small businessman, or what??
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

I am a DIY and Hobbyist, I am no stranger to steel fabrication, but CNC is a new step I have not been introduced to through the years, sorry. My wife and I were hoping to build on this Hobby to make extra cash through her artistic ability and my steel and welding skill.
The table setup came with Inkscape, Sheet CAM and Mach3, and I believe Mach3 is the same as I have seen from the mach3 home site. It also came with Proma compact THC.
I am also running a Hypertherm 45xp. The table does work to the point that it will cut out a job, but from my experience using a handheld plasma torch, the height has always been around 1/8 inches. that is when I have gotten the best kerf. I just do not understand why this CNC unit will not go closer to the job surface. It is very frustrating. I do not know what may need configuring, would it be the THC or the controller software, or maybe both?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Revinvoss wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:10 pm I am a DIY and Hobbyist, I am no stranger to steel fabrication, but CNC is a new step I have not been introduced to through the years, sorry. My wife and I were hoping to build on this Hobby to make extra cash through her artistic ability and my steel and welding skill.
The table setup came with Inkscape, Sheet CAM and Mach3, and I believe Mach3 is the same as I have seen from the mach3 home site. It also came with Proma compact THC.
I am also running a Hypertherm 45xp. The table does work to the point that it will cut out a job, but from my experience using a handheld plasma torch, the height has always been around 1/8 inches. that is when I have gotten the best kerf. I just do not understand why this CNC unit will not go closer to the job surface. It is very frustrating. I do not know what may need configuring, would it be the THC or the controller software, or maybe both?
Are you using machine torch or hand torch on your table? If a machine torch, then you will need (unless you already have it) the CPC port upgrade kit from Hypertherm along with the appropriate torch control cable. In either case, you need to have your torch control cable connected to monitor the arc voltage (or divided arc voltage set by the CPC switches) and also connected to your THC unit. Assuming you have this in place, then I expect that you will need to calibrate your thc to match the divided arc voltage. There are others here with more knowledge about the Proma.

Also, in general it is best to use the settings for cut height, pierce height, cut speed, amps, pierce delay, and kerf directly from the mechanized cut charts in your Hypertherm 45xp manual. 1/8" would be way too high for cnc cutting. In general, 0.060" cut height is recommended for your setup. One option to get started would be to turn off your thc and set you cut height manually. This will work for flat material, but could pose problems with wavy or warped material.

I assume there are also settings in the Mach3 screen for enabling height control and setting the associated parameters. Tom will know much more than I about these settings and how to get you up and running. I expect he will chime in tomorrow.

Good luck!
David
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

I am using machine torch though I do not remember if I ordered the Premier Plasma system for the machine torch setup, I will have to contact them to see if this is the case.

I can see why my job cutting is bad, the torch height is always around 1/4" I have try different torch heights in SheetCAM tool set adjustments but it always stays at 1/4". I looked at the G code for Z axis when it is cutting and it is 0.0500?

This has been going on for over a year now :-(
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Doesn't the Proma take it's voltage setting internally? I don't think you can send it from SheetCam through mach3. I'm not really familiar with the THC, but if that's how it works then you have to change the voltage setting for each material manually to get the correct cut height.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

I will have to look at the Hypertherm book for the 45xp to see what the voltage setting for the plate I am cutting.
I do believe that the Hypertherm 45xp that I have has the CPC port on the back, it also came with the plug and cable, one set of two wires are attach to the micro switch on the Z axis, and the other two wires got to the THC or the Breakout board I will have to look at that again.
I wonder if a ohmic system would be better?
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

I think that my table is not calibrated, I never did it after it putting it together, the instruction never told me to either. After watching someone calibrate the z axis I believe I should calibrate it and maybe even the X and Y too if that is a thing.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Revinvoss wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:09 pm I think that my table is not calibrated, I never did it after it putting it together, the instruction never told me to either. After watching someone calibrate the z axis I believe I should calibrate it and maybe even the X and Y too if that is a thing.
Yes - I agree that you may need to calibrate. For example, you will want to calibrate your turns ratio for each axis based on your steps per revolution and gearing. This is so when you command your table to move 1.000" it actually moves 1.000". I expect that there are youtube videos detailing this process and you might consider checking some of them out to see how they do it.

David

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Let get a few things straightened out Ohmic sensor and THC are 2 different things. Ohmic sensor is to detect the metal surface are the start of a cut operation, to set up the pierce height. THC comes into play after the cut starts and is to maintain the correct cutting height as the cutting operations continue. You should also have a Floating head switch so if the ohmic sensor fails (dirty metal, rust, ect) it will react to stop a crash of the torch into the metal. Most likely the 2 wires from the back of the Hypertherm are for firing the torch you may need to add other wires for the THC to work. These are Arc Ok, and the cut voltage level. The setting in the Hypertherm chart are ball park setting and may very slightly, some small amount of testing will help get things setup for you actual table. This video show what is required, but will a different THC
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:01 am Let get a few things straightened out Ohmic sensor and THC are 2 different things. Ohmic sensor is to detect the metal surface are the start of a cut operation, to set up the pierce height. THC comes into play after the cut starts and is to maintain the correct cutting height as the cutting operations continue. You should also have a Floating head switch so if the ohmic sensor fails (dirty metal, rust, ect) it will react to stop a crash of the torch into the metal. Most likely the 2 wires from the back of the Hypertherm are for firing the torch you may need to add other wires for the THC to work. These are Arc Ok, and the cut voltage level. The setting in the Hypertherm chart are ball park setting and may very slightly, some small amount of testing will help get things setup for you actual table. This video show what is required, but will a different THC
:Like :Like :Like
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

Thank you, I am actually learning a lot finally after a year of struggle.
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

I will however need to find out why, when I cut a job, the THC does not show any voltage at all, it simply shows the three dashes.
Also, in Mach3 there is a part of the main operation window that shows THC on/off. My question for this is, is it meant to be on for the THC to work?

Sorry, I still have so many questions for getting the table working as intended, also pleasing my wife with great progress for finally getting some art production out of this investment :-)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok do you have the Proma 150 or SD the wiring is different. Attached are inputs to the BOB and show in Mach 3 and the Proma 150 manual.
Not sure if the last image for Mach 3 is needed but easy to check or uncheck. Now while power is on for the Proma you can hook a 1.5 volt battery to the arc voltage input to it and see a display you should see about 75 on the display. If you enter about 80 in the set voltage you should also see the up led light. I think :Wow Where are you located city or town?? If it is working you will see the Z DRO change up or down as it cuts and the display on the Proma change. Some of the Mach 3 setup do have a onscreen display but not all. Tell the boss you will make her some nice all hanging soon.
Or buy her something special with the coins you will be making doing guy stuff. :HaHa :HaHa
thc150_en.pdf
(407.43 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
THCa.jpg
THC.jpg
THC.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Mach THC.JPG
moon and back (2).jpg
moon and back (2).jpg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
Man Cave 2 (1).JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

I had a look at the sticker on the side and it is a: Proma THC Controller SD. The is no place that it says 150.
I and just out side of Spokane WA
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

not good many have had problems with the SD which is a Stand Alone. It switches between signals from the BOB for Z up and down to its own up and down signals. The 150 does it the opposite it sends signals to the BOB and the BOB to the Z motor driver and acts like the G-code signals. the wiring is completely different, SORRY You can do a search here about the Proma SD to see posts about it.
Now you can run the table without it you just will not have the THC function.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I agree with Tom. You can disable your Proma SD and just run with no torch height control. You can still manually zero your z to the work surface and cut your parts. In addition, if Mach3 has the option, you could add the ohmic sensing feature using the Hypertherm ohmic sensing cap and wire accordingly. I'm not sure if your software offers the option, but it is also sometimes possible to use "stall on material to zero" instead of "sense material to zero". This option drives the z down until the torch hits the material and stalls, then zeros on that height for subsequent cut height, pierce height, and rapid travel height settings.

THC and ohmic sensing are two different things. THC monitors arc voltage to maintain in an effort to maintain a constant cut height. Ohmic sensing is used for sensing the material surface to zero the torch to this surface. Stall on material to zero provides a similar function except it relies on the z stepper motor stalling when the torch is driven into the surface, as opposed to electrically sensing the work surface.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Mach 3 does have the option of a Ohmic sensor but you need to use a Post processor that puts a Probe in the G-code this is a G31. This would be wired to the tip as david states and would have it own input pin. You can use a pin for all home and limit switches as Mach 3 knows what type of operation the G-code is doing to interpret how to react. The floating head switch can be in series with the home and limits as a safety.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

Thank you this has been very informative info. I will most certainly be looking at these options. It would be nice to have someone close to me that I could confer with in person. I will look and see if there is a Plasma CNC group in the general area.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I asked before where are you located, easier to see if there is a local member.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

I am located just outside Spokane WA at a town named Medical Lake.

Return to “General Discussion”