Black heavy dross

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Black heavy dross

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Jim hear is a couple of pictures of the oily type residue and a picture of the center drop out of the skylight picture in the picture thread. I did the white paper test and nothing showed up so I think that is not in the air system, I am starting to think that it my be the oil that the mfg sprays on the sheets. Any thought's :!:
Rod S in AZ
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Black heavy dross

Post by jimcolt »

That dross is relatively normal...and is caused by low acceleration or low cut speeds....especially in areas where there is intricate detail. The machine slows down in these areas...yet the plasma is still burning at the set amperage....so the metal heats up (see the heat shadows in the areas with dross?) and the molten metal rewelds.

You may want to increase the acceleration rate on your machine if that is possible Also...use lower cutting power and the smallest consumables. I talk to hundreds of plasma cutting people every day....so I cannot remember what system/consumables you are using....Powermax65/85 with FineCut? If you are using the FineCut consumables.....cut the power back to 35 or 40 amps....increase the acceleration and cut speed until the dross is minimized.

With an air plasma...and intricate part details....you will not always cut dross free.

Jim
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Thanks' Jim
I will try to increase the speed and lower the voltage on the machine Ck out the skylight picture and you will see the needles that had the large buildup on it. Anyway thanks' again
Rod S in AZ
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Lee »

My two cents,

Don't change them both at the same time, a little at a time and one thing at a time or you will be chasing your settings all day. Made that mistake. :shock:
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Thanks' Lee I lower my amps to 35 and it didn't make that much change very little. But I wasn't cutting the fine detail like I was the other day. The last cut peace was the air grill that i posted in the picture thread( Vent Screen.)
Rod S in AZ

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”