Buying a plasma cutter - Everlast Power Pro 205

Discussion forum for RazorWeld, Everlast, and all other plasma cutters.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Buying a plasma cutter - Everlast Power Pro 205

Post by plasmaplasma »

Getting ready to purchase the Everlast Power Pro 205, Any comments?
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Buying a plasma cutter

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Just my two cent's Go with HT. You will not be sorry. :D
Rod S in AZ
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

Eagle Mtn Metal Works wrote:Just my two cent's Go with HT. You will not be sorry. :D
Yes, that is a nice plasma cutter but, a little out of my budget.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

sent you a PM
Rod S in AZ
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

Nobody?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I beleive that is a combo plasma/tig stick machine. Which torch does it have for plasma....and what is the amperage, and the load voltage/duty cycle rating for cutting? What is the cut speed on 1/2" steel? What is maximum pierce? I cannot seem to find this info anywhere.

Jim
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

Eagle Mtn Metal Works wrote:Just my two cent's Go with HT. You will not be sorry. :D
Your two cents and my two cents sound pretty similar! http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma_ed ... _bust.html (last couple posts)
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

jimcolt wrote:I beleive that is a combo plasma/tig stick machine. Which torch does it have for plasma....and what is the amperage, and the load voltage/duty cycle rating for cutting? What is the cut speed on 1/2" steel? What is maximum pierce? I cannot seem to find this info anywhere.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I was looking at the 205Pro but, know that I have been checking out their models, the Power Pro 256 will be a must for the very reason that I need to cut on occasion up to 1/4 aluminum.

The whole idea for getting the combo, was I need to have a TIG too. I thought I could "kill two birds with one stone".

I do know of one good video on the 256, as far as the plasma cut is concerned. Can be found here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syiNvWs0 ... ideo_title . This guy also reviews other features of the machine in different videos, if your interested.

My main concern is, if anyone here has used the Everlast personally or have some very good info about it, negative or positive.

Also, I like the fact that the consumables are cheaper. I thought, I read a post of yours here where you stated that HT consumables last longer. Why is this?

I certainly would like to buy a HT 45 but, that would put it at the same price I believe as the 256($1780) and with no TIG. Out of my budget.

Here is some info I got from their website on the Power Pro 256.
Inverter class; Infineon IGBT/Plasma output; 60 A
Weld output Amps GTAW/SMAW @ 60/35% duty cycle; 250(35%)/200(35%)
GTAW-P (Pulse TIG feature ); Yes
Recommended Maximum Steel Weld Thickness Decrease for Aluminum by 30%; 1/2"
Typical use; General Repair, Fabrication, Motorsports, Industrial, Commercial, HVAC
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

If you need to know more about Everlast, head on over to Weldingweb.
You might just change your mind after reading all the horror stories.
My 2c....You can't do better than Hypertherm.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

Possumplasma wrote:If you need to know more about Everlast, head on over to Weldingweb.
You might just change your mind after reading all the horror stories.
My 2c....You can't do better than Hypertherm.
Hey, thanks!

I just went over there and there and there is a ton of posts about Everlast. I might be up all night reading them.

Thank's!
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The guy in the YouTube videos has done quite a few videos of various Everlast products...under a couple of different names. He likely is a paid advertiser.

In regards to consumable life claims from Hypertherm...I work for Hypertherm so you should not completely be expected to believe everything I say! Our consumable life is superior to other brands of plasma based on technology. Hypertherm has over 90 engineers, over 15 with PhD's that design, engineer, test and develop manufacturing processes for our torches. Our torches are designed to work in conjunction with our power supplies....and bend the laws of physics to the max to ensure that cut quality remains consistent throughout the expected life of the consumable parts in our torches. We hold over 75 patents....many of which are solely related to consumable life and cut quality innovations in a plasma torch. All of our torches are designed and manufactured in our faciliteies in Hanover and Lebanon, NH, by employee owners of Hypertherm. If you are in NH.....contact me and I'll provide a personal tour of the facility....I guarantee you will walk away impressed!

Most plasma manufacturers eather use older technology torches of their own design....or, like Everlast, purchase torches from another supplier. Everlast uses a Chinese copy of an old Esab PT31 torch (over 30 years old) on some of their systems and use an Italian Trafimet brand torch on their other systems.

The best bet is to read posts (legitimate users, not on sponsored forums) on this and other sites and ask questions. I cannot comment on the welding functions of the Everlast systems.

Jim Colt
joebush
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by joebush »

Well, I'm not a hypotherm employee, let me first say that! I bought a used plasmacam DHCP2 and the guy I bought it from packaged in a Hypotherm 1000 he had used with it. He tells me its about 2 years old, but didn't look very 'used'. I have been cutting for about 2 months now, mostly prototypes and parts we make that fit Harley Davidson motorcycles,(oldjimcustoms.com) and I have to say, my hypotherm rocks! I'm cutting mostly 16-20 gauge cold rolled and .063 6061=T6 Aluminum at 40 amps roughly 300 ipm and the hypotherm blasts through sheets and sheets before needing any consumables. I like that hypotherm is sold through Airgas and I have a dealer very close. I tried the 'fine tip' setup, but actually get better results with the regular tips and shields. I think I'm doing something wrong, because the fine tip gives me more failures, quits cutting and raises, so I just put the regular tip back in and cut away. I bought the 5 tip kit, have gone through 3 so far, but I'm betting its my lack of experience with this setup, I'm still new. I have found the hypotherm very reliable, easy to change the tips out and with Airgas, quick to get supplies. My 1000 will dial down to 20 amps, does pretty detailed cutting, and I'm very happy with it so far. :geek:
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

joebush wrote:Well, I'm not a hypotherm employee, let me first say that! I bought a used plasmacam DHCP2 and the guy I bought it from packaged in a Hypotherm 1000 he had used with it. He tells me its about 2 years old, but didn't look very 'used'. I have been cutting for about 2 months now, mostly prototypes and parts we make that fit Harley Davidson motorcycles,(oldjimcustoms.com) and I have to say, my hypotherm rocks! I'm cutting mostly 16-20 gauge cold rolled and .063 6061=T6 Aluminum at 40 amps roughly 300 ipm and the hypotherm blasts through sheets and sheets before needing any consumables. I like that hypotherm is sold through Airgas and I have a dealer very close. I tried the 'fine tip' setup, but actually get better results with the regular tips and shields. I think I'm doing something wrong, because the fine tip gives me more failures, quits cutting and raises, so I just put the regular tip back in and cut away. I bought the 5 tip kit, have gone through 3 so far, but I'm betting its my lack of experience with this setup, I'm still new. I have found the hypotherm very reliable, easy to change the tips out and with Airgas, quick to get supplies. My 1000 will dial down to 20 amps, does pretty detailed cutting, and I'm very happy with it so far. :geek:
Hi Joe(Jim?),
Thanks for all the information!

I am going to look at a used hypertherm plasma cutter powermax 380 today, that I saw on Craig's List last night. I went over to your website and I was impressed to say the least. Do you do your own plating too? This is something I was looking into myself.

Thank Joe(Jim?)!

Joe
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Lee »

Well, I have 2 Hypertherm Plasma Cutters, 1 Powermax 600 and I bought a Powermax 30 for on the floor hand cutting. Got tired of pulling the torch off my table to use on the floor. Well that's all I need to say, if they are no good I wouldn't buy a second one. You even get a free gift when you register them, havent seen that yet but I am sure they will stand behind their word. I have used and continue to use there fine cut on 14ga and they work great, (the arc voltage changes so you need to change you AVC settings Joebush) Oh ya, I don't work for Hypertherm, Hypertherm works for me! :lol:
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
Metal Lee

Post by Metal Lee »

Hey Jim you see that there is a Slogan for ya, let's get some T shirts made, HYPERTHERM WORKS FOR ME! 8-)
I realy don't work for them.
Thanks, Metal Lee
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

Metal Lee wrote:Well, I have 2 Hypertherm Plasma Cutters, 1 Powermax 600 and I bought a Powermax 30 for on the floor hand cutting. Got tired of pulling the torch off my table to use on the floor. Well that's all I need to say, if they are no good I wouldn't buy a second one. You even get a free gift when you register them, havent seen that yet but I am sure they will stand behind their word. I have used and continue to use there fine cut on 14ga and they work great, (the arc voltage changes so you need to change you AVC settings Joebush) Oh ya, I don't work for Hypertherm, Hypertherm works for me! :lol:
Thanks for the information!

Does the Powermax 30 use MOSFET technology? I just priced these units and they seem to be economical. How much are you paying for consumables? How long are the consumables lasting on the Powermax 30?

Thanks!
Metal Lee

Post by Metal Lee »

Not sure on the technology, I bought 5 nozzels and 5 electrodes and it cost me $54 taxes in. haven't cut alot with it as of yet, maybe two hrs of hand cutting with a not so steady hand and haven't had to change the consumables yet. Checked them once and they were like new. I paid about $1100 for the unit. If you want a torch for a table I would go a bit bigger, Powermax 45 would be your best bet in my opinion.
Thanks, Metal Lee
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

Metal Lee wrote:Not sure on the technology, I bought 5 nozzels and 5 electrodes and it cost me $54 taxes in. haven't cut alot with it as of yet, maybe two hrs of hand cutting with a not so steady hand and haven't had to change the consumables yet. Checked them once and they were like new. I paid about $1100 for the unit. If you want a torch for a table I would go a bit bigger, Powermax 45 would be your best bet in my opinion.
Thanks Lee, I appreciate your reply.

I'm currently under the mind set that maybe I'll try to find a good "used" Hypertherm unit.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

All of the Hypertherm Powermax units use IGBT's for power supply output current control. Hypertherm has used IGBT's for about 17 years. Our primary goals when desingning systems have always been: Reliability, Cut Quality, Consumable life. You will not find a 30 amp air plasma with better performance in all three categories. You can find lower priced plasmas!

JIm Colt

plasmaplasma wrote:
Metal Lee wrote:Well, I have 2 Hypertherm Plasma Cutters, 1 Powermax 600 and I bought a Powermax 30 for on the floor hand cutting. Got tired of pulling the torch off my table to use on the floor. Well that's all I need to say, if they are no good I wouldn't buy a second one. You even get a free gift when you register them, havent seen that yet but I am sure they will stand behind their word. I have used and continue to use there fine cut on 14ga and they work great, (the arc voltage changes so you need to change you AVC settings Joebush) Oh ya, I don't work for Hypertherm, Hypertherm works for me! :lol:
Thanks for the information!

Does the Powermax 30 use MOSFET technology? I just priced these units and they seem to be economical. How much are you paying for consumables? How long are the consumables lasting on the Powermax 30?

Thanks!
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

Thanks Jim!
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

After much thought and helpful replies from this forum, I have decided to purchase a Power Plasma 50 from Everlast. I will keep you in the loop on how that's working out for me. Maybe, I'll do an "un-boxing" video when it arrives. Again, thank you everyone for making this decision an easy one!

Joe
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

When you get the new plasma.....lets see some pics of cut quality on the thickest rated materials. Also piercing capability with some good photos. It would be nice to see how it arrives....what type of electrical plug it is shipped with, how detailed is the manual (cut charts for mechanized cutting). other good comparative items.....cut quality on thin gauge materials. Are there gouging consumables?

This type oif info will help others when comparing different systems.

Jim Colt
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

I might do an unboxing video Jim. I will certainly let you know how it works for me, good or bad.

Joe

Return to “RazorWeld, Everlast, & All Other Plasma Cutters”