v-slot rails or hiwin linear rails

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
coalminerskip
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

v-slot rails or hiwin linear rails

Post by coalminerskip »

I'm in the middle of designing my plasma table. Wanting a little feedback on what type of rails to run. I always overbuild everything. Hiwin linear rails are very expensive but are they worth it over running v-slot wheels and rail? I really like the speed demon sg linear rails but man are they pricey. I plan on building a 5x10 table and running servo motors with planetary gear boxes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm in the design phase.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: v-slot rails or hiwin linear rails

Post by Nacs Fab »

I have V-Rail on my Machine and have been running it for 7 years without any troubles. Still on the same bearings from VXB. I used V-Rail that has the hardened steel insert in Aluminum Extrusion. It was from PCB Linear. I would probably go the same route again, but it sounds like your table is a lot more high end than mine.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
ScottRa
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ScottRa »

I can’t be much for advise but here’s a video if you want to hear some comment. I believe it’s from Bulltear/Starlab.

Scott
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

V rail in my opinion. It's less expensive, does what you need it to very well, is super easy to keep clean, and deadly reliable. With machining you get chips, with plasma you get abrasive dust and the v wheel/rail setup just isn't affected by this. A scotchbrite pad will have the scrub the v rails clean in seconds and this setup will never fail.
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by xnaron »

Nacs Fab wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:08 pm I have V-Rail on my Machine and have been running it for 7 years without any troubles. Still on the same bearings from VXB. I used V-Rail that has the hardened steel insert in Aluminum Extrusion. It was from PCB Linear. I would probably go the same route again, but it sounds like your table is a lot more high end than mine.
I have vrails on the cnc router I built before the end of last year. Do you have a water table? I was thinking about using vrail on part of my new plasma build but was thinking about how they would do with exposure to water.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I think if you are going to the expense of planetary gearboxes, I would go with the linear rails. Overall, it does not increase costs much by percentage terms.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

I have PPLC V rails and a water table. When I am done cutting I just wipe the rails and wd40 them or whatever I have on hand. No issues with water.
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by xnaron »

Rodw wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:25 am I think if you are going to the expense of planetary gearboxes, I would go with the linear rails. Overall, it does not increase costs much by percentage terms.
I agree with Rod. The only reason I used the vrails is that I already had them on hand. If not I would have went with linear rails. On my new plasma build I am using linear rails.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

I do have a water table and no troubles with v-rail rusting. I keep it scotchbrite clean!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”