Looking for some input to my design.

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
philofab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Looking for some input to my design.

Post by philofab »

I'm planning to build my own table here soon. 5x10, Aluminum gantry, 4.5 NM Nema 34 motors (undecided on steppers vs hybrids vs servos), dual double T5-25mm timing belt X axis (doubled on each side) protected under table, cable track protected under table, timing belt and ball screw Y axis, ball screw Z axis protected inside gantry, replaceable water table pan, welded steel table, V bearings on v guides on top of rails and v bearings directly on stainless steel strap on bottom, motors mounted low for counter balance and protection. For control I plan to use LinuxCNC on a dedicated computer.

I don't have a ton of experience with CNC plasma but with my math it seems this should do 300 ipm and slower speeds well if I get the gear ratio in the belt drive correct. I have a XP45 with a machine torch and it shows ~250 IPM for 16 ga.

What is everyone thoughts on my design? I'm open to constructive criticism and have no plans to manufacture it more than once (only for me).

The rendering is fairly basic since I do not know how to draw timing belts and I mostly did it to figure out the needed material lengths. I plan to mill lightening holes in the gantry side plates once I have all the limit switches mounted and timing belt covers made.

Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/X9CMCi_hZ1M
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Looking for some input to my design.

Post by acourtjester »

good start but do your research and be sure of things before starting to build. Many here have built their own and there is help with the linux software and electronics.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”