Cutter in Hawaii? - Looking for Quote for material

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Cutter in Hawaii? - Looking for Quote for material

Post by AnotherDano »

I have a powder coating friend in the Hawaiian Islands who is looking for a quote on 3/8" aluminum. Navy SEAL and Marine Globe & Anchor.

Do we have any members out there in the ocean who I can refer him to? Shipping from Wyoming would cost him a fortune!
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Cutter in Hawaii?

Post by WSS »

Any luck? If not, what island (Oahu probably)? I have some commercial contacts on Maui I can run by to see if they know of any CNC plasma cutters close.

WSS
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

WSS wrote:Any luck? If not, what island (Oahu probably)? I have some commercial contacts on Maui I can run by to see if they know of any CNC plasma cutters close.

WSS
Nothing yet.
I don't know which island, but any one of them would be a lot closer that Laramie, Wyoming. :lol:

The other thing is the material he's looking for. I don't handle aluminum very well. My cutter is just a little Powermax-30 and my distributor is a 120 mile round trip. I stocked up on steel a while back and getting the alum. would mean a special trip. Cutting that thickness in 'aloom' with good quality is a concern.

I do a lot of cutting for my friends on the powder coating forums, hoping to get referrals and adding a line to their operation. When people like the company logo over their door, they get to show their coating work and can offer to have their sign cut, 'cause they 'know a guy'... It's not brought in a lot of business so far but really spread the word.

My hope was to find someone in our network who would like to make a similar connection. Sometimes it isn't about the money, but the opportunity to spread some goodwill. The buddy-discount I give wouldn't be expected, but I think the difference in shipping might more than make up the difference.

Then there's the flattery/loyalty factor. I told him about looking for a local guy to make what he's looking for. He mentioned that he knew a guy who does great work but I misunderstood him. He was referring to ME. Darn,,, how can you turn that down? Looks like he, too, is keen on keeping things 'in the family'.

I have a real quandary here.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

For Jim Colt,,,

What would you advise in this situation?

Powermax-30 on a PlasmaCam table.
5/16 - 3/8 Aluminum.

Should I even think about it?
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Ya, your stuck with doing it! When they go down that path your had LOL

Just a thought, You might be able to cut it in two thickness' and weld/tig them together. Two pieces of 3/16" or even two 10ga. The bottom piece you could add some plug weld holes for welding to the top "show piece" and grind flush.

WSS
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

bump - To catch Jim Colts eye.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30