Gate builders - a review of two gate openers

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Gate builders - a review of two gate openers

Post by pony »

I installed a Mighty Mule gate opener (model 502) at my front gate a few years back. I am part way through building a new set of gates at the other end of my drive to keep the horses out of the wifes veggie garden the infrequent times we let them in the front pasture. As this new gate will not get as much use as the main opener I decided to go cheap. I bought a Buffalo America brand dual swing opener for $329.
Well I was amazed that this cheap opener blew away the mighty mule. It opens a lot quicker, it interfaces with the built-in garage door remote in the pickup (HomeLink). I'm not affiliated in any way. I found them based on price.
Here is a quick demo I uploaded of both my openers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2O6Q2Tvc8 :ugeek:
Maybe the Buffalo Brand is a good alternative to the Mighty Mule.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Gate builders - a review of two gate openers

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hey pony
Can you PM me with the info on Buffalo Brand opener. Thanks' in advance.
Rod S in AZ
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

I sent a PM, if the Admin approves it I can post the link here. Searching for Buffalo America Automatic Dual Gate Opener on eBay should show the listing.
I bought mine on eBay. The Buy It Now price is $362, but I had no problem bidding the $329 starting price and waiting out the auction to get it for that price.

I added the 'WARP' option (an extra $10) this allowed me to link it to the pickup garage door opener, and will allow you to use tons of cheap remotes and control pads.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Is there any weight difference between the two gates?
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

jmsrbrt wrote:Is there any weight difference between the two gates?
I included that info in the description on YouTube. I don't have the actual weight of the gates, but the gate being opened by the Buffalo Brand is much heavier.
Both gates have greased bearings and operate freely when the gate opener is not connected.
The Buffalo America gate opener is opening a gate constructed entirely of 2" square tubing, the Mighty Mule gate is a 2" square tubing frame with thinner uprights.The Buffalo America and Mighty Mule are both opening gates well below their rated limit. The Mighty Mule has an unfair advantage, but still lost.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”