Which Corel Software

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Which Corel Software

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Hello everone. I am new to the plasma cutting world and would appericate your advise. Corel has several pieces of software and I would like to know which one I need that will give me the most for my money ( which ant much...). Also what do YOU use Corel for in you cutting process? I just don't want to spend $600 for there software when maybe they (Corel) may have something scaled down that will get the job done. Thank you and look forward to your suggestions.
Dawg
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Which Corel Software

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Take a look at INKSCAPE its free and does more thn I have yet to master, from a newbies standpoint. I can get by with it for a while and spend my money on metal etc.
Just my $.02 worth.
Mike
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

I use Corel V11 and I think it was like 80 bucks. Best 80 bucks I ever spent. I have no need to get anything newer.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Anyone know if Corel x5 Home Verison will do the job we cutters are looking far?
Thx, Dawg
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

You'd want CorelDRAW? Graphics Suite X5 $499

Or they have a premium graphics suite with video $699

Their home office products are for desktop publishing (not what you need)

Corel Draw X5 is the best version yet, DXF output could use some improvement, for vector art I'd say it is the best design program around, but it is a desktop graphics program, it is not ideal for precision CAD type drawings. It has great text layout capability.
redneckgateart
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redneckgateart »

As far as the functionality goes, I don't think you're going to miss the features that were removed when they released the Home and Student version.

Philosophically, you're going to have to wrestle with the license agreement, unless you are really going to use the software for personal use and not for business use.

Clark
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

redneckgateart wrote:As far as the functionality goes, I don't think you're going to miss the features that were removed when they released the Home and Student version.

Philosophically, you're going to have to wrestle with the license agreement, unless you are really going to use the software for personal use and not for business use.
Oh yes, when I said home office I meant their other publishing products. There is a home and student version of the graphics suite that's much cheaper, as far as I know it is identical to the retail version, except it has less extras content, is not licensed for commercial use, and is not upgradeable.

From what I hear it displays a message "NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE" on screen all the time.

The philisophical burden of misusing the license is nothing compared to the worry over the potential penalty. Retail software is much more affordable than getting busted for commercial misappropriation.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

We use Corel Draw version 12 and no complaints. It's less than $100 and I think it's upgradable although we see no reason to do so. Does everything we ask, even text along an arc. I'd recommend it, and as someone said, there are free versions of CAD programs on the Net, and all you'd proably be doing anyway is drawing lines, curves, circles and squares. No 3D or rendering.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

The Corel x5 Home verison I saw is $130. Not what I need?
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Forgot to mention I have Windows 7.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Dawgonhawg wrote:The Corel x5 Home verison I saw is $130. Not what I need?
I don't know for sure, here's some links:

CorelDRAW? Graphics Suite X5 Full Version $499

CorelDRAW? Graphics Suite X5 Home and Student $81.49
jmsrbrt wrote:We use Corel Draw version 12 and no complaints
Yes, for vector art for cutting, only the basics are necessary. Some of the nicer features of the later versions are, the contour command (same effect as autocad offset command) seems to produce much cleaner curves, fillet and chamfer seems better, the new join curves command in X5 is nice for working with CNC files often composed of many separate line segments, improved customizability (you can even dock command buttons in the status bar), uniform rectangle corner radius scaling, works on windows 7 including 64 bit platforms, and lots of little improvements here and there.
coupebuilder
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by coupebuilder »

Just my 2 cents, but many of the Cad programs we use have cheaper "home" and "student" versions as well. What the difference is, is that the cheapie versions can not be opened in the pro-version or shared. Meaning a guy can't design something on his 100 dollar version of Solidworks at home and then send it to a shop for cutting etc and have it work with their licensed version. Many of the other home/student versions have a similiar setup or leave a watermark on the prints. I did get my Licensed copy of Corel X5 on Ebay in the wrapper, with the book, Full version for about 275.00 from a guy with 100% feedback an a bunch of sales. If I can find the invoice I will post his seller id. Now if I can only get better with it!

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”