cnc plasma cutting for dummies

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
kylieliveshere
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

cnc plasma cutting for dummies

Post by kylieliveshere »

Is there any go to books or websites that a newbie can read or visit to learn all about plasma cutting? Like a cnc plasma cutting for dummies type stuff?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cnc plasma cutting for dummies

Post by tcaudle »

Since every plasma cutting table is different the book would have to be just general stuff. Actually learning about CNC is part of it then go to the web and start to understand HOW plasma works buy searching on different plasma cutting topics. Most of the major plasma vendors (Hypertherm, Thermal Dynamics, etc) have tons of documents on plasma cutting. Everything from theory of plasma to how to get the best cuts. If you want more specific stuff on using a plasma table (automated cutting) then visit sites like the ArclightCNC training section for hours of videos. We all started out as dummies but it takes the dedication to learning to get past the various aspects.

A lot will depend on what your goals are. Do you want to build it all from scratch, buy kits (some assembly required), or a turn key table ? Each stage costs more but has a shorter learning curve. You basically by time and pay yourself to learn. Short of the piece by piece ("stick") build, the hardest for a newby is to go buy an old used table and try to retro fit it.
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: cnc plasma cutting for dummies

Post by BanksAg »

kylieliveshere wrote:Is there any go to books or websites that a newbie can read or visit to learn all about plasma cutting? Like a cnc plasma cutting for dummies type stuff?
You found it - this forum is by far the best resource I have found. We purchased our table just over a year and half ago, and while our machine was on order I spent hours upon hours reading through various posts on here (as well as watching the Arclight videos already suggested). That gave me a good enough knowledge base that I was able to hit the ground running when our table finally arrived. You can search for specific topics on here with the search function, and if you can't find the answers you're looking for, there are plenty of CNC plasma geniuses on here who are willing to share their wisdom.
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”