customer acceptance form for work to be completed

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

customer acceptance form for work to be completed

Post by Arc Innovations »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share a customer acceptance form, for the work you are going to perform for them?
It would have something like, number of pieces to make, price agreed upon, date for completion, deposit. Stuff like that.
Just got screwed by a lady who seemed honest and innocent, but backed out once I had all the work done!

Thanks for anything you can offer,
Gary
Arc Innovations

http://ai-metalworks.com
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: customer acceptance form for work to be completed

Post by elkriverfab »

Gary,

I too had a customer last month do the same thing.
I had a contract with her for a job to be completed in three weeks.

The contract stated in detail what the project was, size and CAD drawings of the piece.

I was ready to deliver the item and she asked for a photo of the piece before delivery.
Once I emailed it to her she said the scenes were too small and didn't want it.

I collected a deposit for materials and she said she wanted her deposit back or a completely different design made.

My contract states that any changes or back outs would not be grounds for refund (No Refunds for this).

I now am having issues with her daily stating she is going to call the cops and all that good stuff!

This is how I see it..........
I did the job to exact specifications, size and all details on the contract.

Three weeks of work not including material cost, trailer rental fees for delivering the piece.

She than wanted me to come up with a completely different design, no charge for doing this and all new materials.

All I can say is this is just how business works unfortunately...........
You can have good customers and than the good ones can come out of the wood work and be a complete ass.

Now she wants her deposit back or for me to build a completely different project at my expense.

One part of me wants to work this out and the other part of me is wanting to tell her where she can stick it.
I am finding out that being a nice guy is not the way to go.

I guess all of us have to deal with this.

Last year I had a customer do the same thing and it took me 8 months to get him off my back when I should have been a hard ass.

I guess I will learn some day! :shock:

It really makes you mad when you do nice work and during the entire build all you are concerned about is do a great job for them.
Honestly.......I do not think about how much I will profit off a piece when building, all my concern is about doing it right and building a quality piece or project.

I figure once the job is done, paid for and seeing a smile on their face than I can feel good about what I made in profit.

Maybe I am looking at this wrong.

I have never tried to scam a person or do them wrong nor have I ever tried to take advantage of them.
People do this and some of them do this well.

I sold a piece on craigslist one time and on delivery they tried to tell me they thought price was for eight of them not one........... Right away I could see where this was going and the look in his eye told me he did this all the time.

I loaded up the piece ( part for a tractor I built ) and told him what I thought about his BS.
As I was driving off he stopped me and wanted to buy it.

I got out, droped it in his truck. He than wanted a receipt, I told him no receipts for dishonest customers.
( My wife in front seat as always with .45 ACP at ready ***** a must with craigslist deals****

In my area the Mexican drug cartel is heavy and this guy was throwing red flags from the start.

Funny story with that, I have a repeat customer that I have done several big jobs for that I met off of craigslist.
Great guy, great contractor and a nice family man.

He told me that our first few meetings his wife was in their truck with .45 at ready :lol:
You just never know what people are thinking or wanting to try.

I wish I could give you some magical solution to your problem but some people love to get stuff for free or down right rob you if you are not careful.

Even with all that I still will do my best to provide my customer with the best they can buy at a fair price and warranty on craftsmanship.
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

All of my correspondance is through email. Conversations about what it is you're looking for, a PDF file sent of the piece that will be cut along with all information such as dimensions, thickness, finish, etc., etc., the last email from customer acknowledging that the piece is to their liking, money collected up front (all of it, if it's a custom piece, maybe negotiable if it's something generic I can re-sell), part cut and delivered. I haven't had (so far) one customer complaint. Maybe I'm lucky.

By the way, with written conversations, I'd most likely win if it ever went to court..."he with the most paper wins".
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
Arc Innovations
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Arc Innovations »

Thanks for the advice guys! I was hoping someone had a short form that they give the customer either in person or through email. Anyone else have anything?
Arc Innovations

http://ai-metalworks.com
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Streetwerkz »

I don't have a form, rather use quick books for all the wording & make sure they sign off on the final drawling.
On my quote on the deposit line I state that by paying the non refundable deposit the client agrees to all current drawling, terms & conditions, any changes are an additional cost & subject to full re-quote.
I will print the file out with dimensions have them sign & date it as accepted.

Some times people cant visualize a final product from a drawling, then want changes after the project is complete.... werking with the public is tricky sometimes. This is why (not saying you didn't) over educating a client is a must. this way if everything is in writing & the supplier delivered what they were supposed to, even if the client changes their mind after the start of the job... your butt is covered.

I require a 75% deposit for ALL custom werk, 25% due at delivery, no exceptions for this reason.
Who else (in most cases) can I sell a 1 of a kind fabricated part to specially built for client "X"?

life's learning curve is an expensive one sometimes sadly.... good luck :D
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

You may want to add some verbage as to the final ownership of prior art used in your designs AND a disclaimer as to responcibility of cost for defending a prior art copyright claim.

(;-) TP
wyopower
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: customer acceptance form for work for squirrely customers

Post by wyopower »

No matter how clear you are, and no matter how up front you are, there will always be a JERK customer some times.
In fact, i have has one guy who always wanted discounts and then change things then change things again.
Always get 50% or more up front. if you think a certain customer will be a problem, either dont work for them, or do what i call ( add a squirrel charge.)
A squirrel charge of 100 bucks, just to be able to deal with extra squirrely customers.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Here are a couple sites that offer free service contracts. I would read them over, find one that fits your business model and edit it as necessary. I would then contact an attorney (if you have one at your church, friends circle or family) and have them read it over to make sure everything is legit.

https://www.upcounsel.com/service-agreement
https://www.pandadoc.com/service-contract-template/
http://www.contractstemplates.org/
https://etxauzia.org/free-service-contract-template/
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: customer acceptance form for work for squirrely customers

Post by Redneck »

wyopower wrote: Always get 50% or more up front. if you think a certain customer will be a problem, either dont work for them, or do what i call ( add a squirrel charge.)
A squirrel charge of 100 bucks, just to be able to deal with extra squirrely customers.

I call it a "PITA" tax. 8-)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Eventually this will happen because humans are like that. Dealing with the public is always an issue. They are used to being able to order something and refuse to pick it up or to bring it back for a refund if they don't like it. There are a myriad of reasons someone would back out including them getting cold feet or push back from their spouse. You don't need a complex contract. Just something that explains the deposit is non refundable after they have signed off on the project.

On bigger complex things I would take a photo of the site where the cutting was going to hang/mount or be added and super impose the drawing of the cutout over it. A PDF of the design and their sign off to check for spelling and such seals the deal. We allowed ONE rework of the art no charge. Learned that early on when one lady changed her mind 5 times and we ended up with a totally different design. Using a drawing tool with dimensioning to show the actual size of the item kills any argument that they though it would be bigger. If they can't read a tape measure then that is not your fault.

I always got a deposit of at least 50% . Only time I did not do that it was for a repeat customer that wanted a bunch more things . Guess what....they stiffed me. I used it for a demo rack so it was not a total waste but made me resolve to not let that happen. Even with friends unless you are prepared to give it to them free you need to ask for a deposit.

A contact exists when a person/company orders something or takes position and money (consideration) is given. Consideration doe not have to be the full payment it just has to be something of value.

Tell the lady to call the Police This is a civil matter they will refuse to get involved in. She can of course sue you are take you to small claims court but your proof that she ordered it, signed off on it and then refused to pay the balance will most likely not end well in her favor.

In the end you will probably be out the balance but you are the one defrauded not her.
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

BLUF. If you have proof saying she agreed to purchase whatever it was you made for her and then she refused to pay, take her to small claims court.

I'm in your shoes with collection. I'm also still new and trying to build a reputation. Luckily all my customers came through and paid in the end but I also make sure I have an agreement via email.

I do some sub work for another fabricator and he only begins a job once he's received full or partial payment prior to beginning.

Doesn't matter what you do: if you provide products or service, in most cases you're doing it for people that want something but can't afford it in the first place.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

I don’t have a doc, but I would google statement of work or sow examples. Some will be large project based, but others should be well suited.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”