Continuous air flow

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
seajinx
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Continuous air flow

Post by seajinx »

Hoping someone may have helpful info. It started with a small air leak at the Plasma'a air regulator. Well, I step out of the shop for about five minutes. When I got back the air flow at the regulator was really bad that the torch stopped cutting. I stopped the plasma cutter, removed the regulator bowl from the regulator housing, hoping to run to town and get another O-ring. I was told I had to order the whole assembly. So to save time i removed the whole regulator assembly from the plasma unit. This evening the part arrived but found it was not the whole assembly as I was led to believe. Any way i put everything back together along with the new bowl. The air leak at the regulator has stopped. My problem now is the air is continuously coming out of the Torch nonstop. Anyone have any idea would could cause this happen. Everything was working fine before this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Seajinx
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Continuous air flow

Post by sphurley »

I'm guessing it's a Hypertherm. So just inside the machine is the solenoid. If you got any dirt in there the valve cant seat all the way and you get a continuous flow of air.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
seajinx
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by seajinx »

Yes it is a Hypertherm 85, my mistake, for failing to provide that info. Can the solenoid be cleaned without damage?
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Pages from PM6585SMsm.pdf
(682.98 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
You might be able to blow air backwards thru it and clean it. I don't remember being able to take it apart. Good news is you have nothing to loose.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
seajinx
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by seajinx »

Thanks sphurley, went over everything that was done and found my problem.Line going into the solenoid has two holes. the way the airline was bent, it looked like it went to the top input hole. Turned the hose some and found it went to the bottom hole. We're back on line and thanks for the input.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Be sure you are not over pressuring the input. Maximum input is 135psi....if it goes higher the bowl, solenoid and other components can and will be damaged. Jim Colt Hypertherm
HarleymanRay
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by HarleymanRay »

I have a lgk-100s connected to a Rayman cnc controller the air stays on constant I have changed the solinoid and the control board tested the potentiometer but for some reason the solinoid 8s getting a 24 volt signal as soon as I power up the machine when powered down it stops turn power on air starts right away any ideas ???
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

HarleymanRay wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:27 am I have a lgk-100s connected to a Rayman cnc controller the air stays on constant I have changed the solinoid and the control board tested the potentiometer but for some reason the solinoid 8s getting a 24 volt signal as soon as I power up the machine when powered down it stops turn power on air starts right away any ideas ???
Could be a bad control board that is continuously feeding voltage to the solenoid when it shouldn't.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”