New Hypertherm 45 xp troubles

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Black Turtle
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New Hypertherm 45 xp troubles

Post by Black Turtle »

So I just replaced my old Cutmaster 101 with a new Powermax 45 xp on my Torchmate 2. I’m having troubles with the torch continuing to fire 4-5 seconds at the end of cut. When I test with a jumper at pins 3 & 4 on the back of the 45 xp the torch starts and stops immediately. When I hook a continuity tester to the back of my AVHC (red screen) it beeps on torch fire, and stops immediately on torch off.
I installed ferrite beads at both ends of CPC cable... no change. I wrapped the CPC cable in foil and grounded it... no change.
Any ideas on what to try next?
Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New Hypertherm 45 xp troubles

Post by jimcolt »

Sounds like an electrical noise interference issue that is shaking up the interface on your cnc machine. What brand and model machine? Jim Colt Hypertherm
Black Turtle
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Black Turtle »

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply...
I'm running an old Torchmate 2 with the red display AVHC and v.3 of the driver software.
Weird new data point: When I switch the AVHC to manual and fire the torch via the AUX panel in the software, The torch seeks the material, pulls up to pierce height, fires, immediately pops off, fires again for a second or two, off, seeks the material again, pierce height, fires and immediately pops off, and keeps going like that.
I've also added ferrite chokes to either end of the "raw voltage" line just in case.
Thanks again,
-Owen
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Dunno how they do it on a TM2 red screen but all of the parameters for cutting with the 45XP are different than your 101. Different pierce height different cut height, different Torch Volts , etc.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”