Just purchased a used gotorch table

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Just purchased a used gotorch table

Post by newfab »

Hi I am new to this and wanted to get started with the gotorch then I found a deal on a used table however it didn't come with software and it was set up for with a router. I plugged it in without being connected to a computer and I tried to get it to move with the arrows but it didn't do anything :?
is this normal? I think I need to get some cables and a adapter plus the complete software
any suggestions?
Thanks
Eric
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Just purchased a used gotorch table

Post by acourtjester »

You can download a demo version of Mach 3 and set it up to test the table, unless they have Proprietary electronics that requires their software to operate the table. If it works you can buy the Mach 3 license I would advise against Mach 4 as it is a pain to setup and seems to be not plasma friendly IMO :( . You may check with T Caudle to see if their CommandCNC will work for you on that table, it will need additional electronics which is a plus after you get things running.
You will also need a CAM program to create the G-codes, Of get someone to send you a few simple g-code for testing, Like squares and circles. SheetCam is a very good one. Both Mach 3 and SheetCam are about $175 each.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

You do not want to run Mach3/Mach4 or whatever on this table as DesignEdge software and servo motors are the only real reason to buy Plasmacam to begin with and using Mach3 negates that. You will need a computer with the DesignEdge software installed to run the table. Can you get the CD from the person you purchased it from? They are going to need to turn the license over to you.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Next time post here BEFORE you buy. You will have to spend a LOT of $$$ to get that table running and cutting as a plasma table.
newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by newfab »

Metriccar wrote:You do not want to run Mach3/Mach4 or whatever on this table as DesignEdge software and servo motors are the only real reason to buy Plasmacam to begin with and using Mach3 negates that. You will need a computer with the DesignEdge software installed to run the table. Can you get the CD from the person you purchased it from? They are going to need to turn the license over to you.
No he didn't know where it was just that it was on the computer. The guy I got it from took over teaching and didn't need the table the last guy was the one who purchased it
newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by newfab »

tcaudle wrote:Next time post here BEFORE you buy. You will have to spend a LOT of $$$ to get that table running and cutting as a plasma table.
Yes you are right I should of checked here first
Hopefully i didn't make too big of a mistake
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

You will need to talk to the original owner about a transfer of ownership form and getting the copy of the software. GoTorch is made by PlasmaCAM so you can contact them to see if they can look it up for you. Don't expect a ton of help as they are sold cheaply on the internet without support. Hopefully you can get that figured out. No one has any idea how much you'll have to spend to get it working well with Plasma until they see what levels of software were purchased on that table.

The table will not jog without a connection to a computer with the Design Edge software running.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

How much did you spend?

Gotorch does not have phone tech support. But you may try and call Plasmacam and explain what you did and what happened.
Everything is done by the serial number of the machine. You'll want to get that.

For GoTorch to be worth using, you have to spend a bunch of money on various software upgrades. Don't get me wrong, DesignEdge is great software, but for the GoTorch version to be worth anything, you're looking at about $1500 in "upgrades" as basic GoTorch software is very limited.
newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by newfab »

Metriccar wrote:How much did you spend?

Gotorch does not have phone tech support. But you may try and call Plasmacam and explain what you did and what happened.
Everything is done by the serial number of the machine. You'll want to get that.

For GoTorch to be worth using, you have to spend a bunch of money on various software upgrades. Don't get me wrong, DesignEdge is great software, but for the GoTorch version to be worth anything, you're looking at about $1500 in "upgrades" as basic GoTorch software is very limited.
I got it for $500 so I am willing to put some money into it if it works right
I called plasma cam and they said they can not help me until I get the software transferred I sent the form to the guy I got it from and he filled it out quickly then I faxed it so waiting for it to be transferred Will i be able to download the basic version after I get the license transferred?
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

newfab wrote: Will i be able to download the basic version after I get the license transferred?
Yes. Once you have access to the owner's community you can download the 'update' with no problem. It will have everything except the fonts and video manual that you'd have gotten with the machine new. You will have to come up with the product key for the software but surely PC will help you with that if you have the machine serial number and there's nothing fishy in it's history. There are tons of 'update' discs around that have the fonts and vid manual that you can probably get from someone who has an extra - for the cost of postage. :-)
krymis
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by krymis »

Newfab, check your pm box.
newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by newfab »

rdj357 wrote:
newfab wrote: Will i be able to download the basic version after I get the license transferred?
Yes. Once you have access to the owner's community you can download the 'update' with no problem. It will have everything except the fonts and video manual that you'd have gotten with the machine new. You will have to come up with the product key for the software but surely PC will help you with that if you have the machine serial number and there's nothing fishy in it's history. There are tons of 'update' discs around that have the fonts and vid manual that you can probably get from someone who has an extra - for the cost of postage. :-)
Thank you for the info I am nervous and excited to see if this will work
It has a router on it now so I will have to get the parts for he torch to attach to it my plasma cane with 2 torches I am hoping to use the 15 degree torch on it
newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by newfab »

Well great news it works! what a relief
I built a computer for this then had to find the right cable for it but I got it to move and trace a pattern. I am going to get a machine torch for it and get it up and cutting
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I strongly suggest joining the Plasmacam "Owners Community". write down the serial number from your table then to to www.plasmacam.com , at the bottom of the page is a ling to the owners community. A great site for support and help from a few thousand other machine owners.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

newfab wrote:Well great news it works! what a relief
I built a computer for this then had to find the right cable for it but I got it to move and trace a pattern. I am going to get a machine torch for it and get it up and cutting
Great to hear!!!! Like Jim says, the Owner's community is a great resource as well as a couple PlasmaCAM groups on Facebook. What level of software did you wind up having? (Basic or Advanced Design; None, Basic, or Advanced Height Control; 3d Capability, etc. ?
newfab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by newfab »

rdj357 wrote:
newfab wrote:Well great news it works! what a relief
Great to hear!!!! Like Jim says, the Owner's community is a great resource as well as a couple PlasmaCAM groups on Facebook. What level of software did you wind up having? (Basic or Advanced Design; None, Basic, or Advanced Height Control; 3d Capability, etc. ?
Thanks Guys I did get it registered and joined the owners community.
It didn't come with any software but I downloaded the update I am not sure what that has, Basic height control? I'm not sure
I went back to the place I bought the plasma cutter from and asked why it didn't come with the machine torch I noticed it was supposed to come with it not the 15 degree one
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

newfab wrote: It didn't come with any software but I downloaded the update I am not sure what that has, Basic height control? I'm not sure
It has whatever was purchased when the table was ordered which is probably nothing 'extra'.

Go to settings, activate levels and look to see what the checkmark boxes look like. A greyed out blank box is not purchased, a greyed out checkmark is basic, and a white box with black check is advanced.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”