New table issues

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: New table issues

Post by Dfrick23 »

Sry didn't load
Attachments
15154620980481284057365.jpg
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

Not sure where you are getting 10/3 in the spec. Manual mentions 8/3 minimum which would at least be in code. 10ga is limited to 30amps in NEC.
Show more of the side cut and angle of cut if you would please.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

This is where I got the 10/3 50amp from.. if you think that could be the issue though I will change it to 8/3 and try it.. I'm up for anything at this point.. these were trying to dial in the holes but you get a glimpse of what all the cuts look like in 3/8
Attachments
15154651350592028146016.jpg
15154650163531487346833.jpg
15154649007001990203961.jpg
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

I see on the next page it says 8 ga for up to 50 foot extension cord and the 50 amp is for the plug.. I'll get it rewired with 8/3 and try it, I've been surprised by stranger things before
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I hope you get this lined out because, I'm looking at buying a 45xp
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

Me too, I did alot of research before buying the 45xp and all the reviews and materials I read said it was pretty much top of the line In it's class.. wondering if I should've went with the 65 instead.. I mean if the height is right, new consumables and a set speed with good clean air it should perform like Jim's does in some of his pics.. those were the biggest selling point for me.. I didn't really want to have to clean tons of dross off every time I cut parts.. have been for a while now but was hoping to dial it in better with the new gantry.. I will say it cuts .25 and under quite well.. a scraper or a trip in the tumbler and those parts are ready for a flap disk to take the sharp edge off.. i still dont rule out the fact that it is somehow caused by ignorance but I've tried about every way I know of.. I'd like to see a 45xp cut 3/8 and it come out clean.. maybe there is a problem with this unit or torch alone.. idk ive never taken either one of them apart..
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I've got a Powermax 600 and it cuts 3/8 at 27ipm .07 cut height and 78 psi air setting (it has the 50' torch lead) as clean as your 36ipm cut setting and it has the old PAC 123 machine torch on it.
I'm in a holding pattern till you see if you can get yours to cut cleaner.
Just a thought, what is your pierce delay set at and are you using the auto air setting feature ???
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Well at least no one can say you have not tried, have you contacted Hypertherm Tech line to run things by them. I would compose an email with all the things you have checked and attach images to give them a little head start of the problem and follow up with a call or give them a number for them to contact you. Maybe on the outside you may have a weak plasma cutter, they work with these things all the time and may have some tests to run that may show if there is a problem there. Hang in there some one will have an answer.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Here are my suggestions after reading all of the posts:

1. If you have a gauge on the inlet to the Powermax45XP (hard plumbed, a gauge any where else is useless) be sure that it reads between 90 and 135 psi at all times when the air is flowing at the torch. In one post you mentioned the inlet was set at 90 psi.....you did not mention if that was with air flowing. Low inlet pressure will cause the dross I see in your cuts....the lag lines in your cuts also indicate low air pressure. If you can control the inlet pressure....set it at about 115 to 120 psi with air flowing at the torch for best results. Be sure also to have your air pressure set in Auto mode.
2. Arc voltage is completely related to the length of the plasma arc. The single most important thing is the physical cut height....which must be at .06". Adjust the voltage to ensure steady state cutting is at the physical cut height. (the voltages listed in the operators manual are 100% correct if using an accurate height control, running at exactly book specs, and with new consumables.). If you want to figure out where your voltage discrepancy is you can monitor raw arc voltage with a DC voltmeter in the power supply. You will find that it will be pretty close to the listing in the manual if your are running at book height, speed, air pressure and with new consumables. I have yet to see one of the low cost THC systems read correctly.

3. Your cut speed should be 33 inches per minute for best cut quality. You will get a mostly dross free cut when everything is set correctly. Honestly , I think your inlet air pressure is too low. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

Thanks guys, I typically run the air setting at whatever the unit is factory at, last night i tried it under some ( down to 60 ) and up to the max .. factory setting seems to be the best cut. I programmed a sheet cam tool for 3/8 straight from the book settings. pierce height was .15 and delay .8.. I'm gonna swap the wire and run a 8/3 over to the unit. If that don't do it I will follow you're advice and contact hypertherm. Either way you guys will know the outcome and I sure do appreciate the help.. i dont see how air supply is the problem, i turned both regulators up to max, ran a different 1/2" air line straight to the unit.. and cuts look the same.. the pressure gauge never dropped below 100 even as the compressor kicked on.. it was hard plumbed on the last table but i changed it to .25 in coupler when i reimstalled the new gantry, honestly i cant tell that the .25 male fitting and coupler made any difference than 1/2 line straight to it.. is it possible that there is a problem in the torch? Hose to the torch? It's a 60 gal compressor at like 11.5 cfm.. maxed out it stops at around 135psi
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

1. Leave the air pressure in Auto mode for best results.
2. Changing the power cord will have no effect. Don't waste your time on it!
3. Any chance you can show a pic of your inlet pressure gauge (the one that is mounted right on the plasma inlet) with a shot of static pressure, then a shot of dynamic pressure (with air flowing at the torch).

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

Ok threw together a short video I know the resolution sucks sorry.. hope it helps though.. pressure is on auto mode, 8 in test cut with sheet leveled to the torch.. thc is off at 37.5 Ipm. Gauge sits close to 120psi the whole time drops maybe 10psi with torch on.. will add pics too.. thanks Jim for you're time and trying to help work this table out.. https://youtu.be/tlKMNhJ27Og
Attachments
20180110_155530.jpg
20180110_155413.jpg
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

"3. Your cut speed should be 33 inches per minute for best cut quality. You will get a mostly dross free cut when everything is set correctly. Honestly , I think your inlet air pressure is too low. Jim Colt Hypertherm"
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

Yea I saw that, I'll run it at 33 and post a pic. I get slow speed dross anything under 35ipm. At 35 and 34 I have to chip the parts free first before they will come loose.. I did 37.5 just because it seemed to be the least dross speed for the table. (The Best hope). I'm certainly not against trying it though. Will update in a bit
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

Here is a cut at 33ipm. Made next to the one from the video, granted these consumables have one 8in. Cut on them already.. I double checked the level of the sheet, remeasured the height and the thc is off..
Attachments
15156802231221520120851.jpg
1515680173840738685844.jpg
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

Small part file we use at 33ipm
Attachments
1515680846222391448657.jpg
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

What coating is that on the plate?
Would that cause the dross?
Have you tried it on clean plate?
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

That's some slight surface rust. (Scrap pieces) Pretty much wipes off.. I haven't tried cleaning it off first but will do that tonight when I get back.. I'd hope that wouldn't be the difference.. typically we cut alot of 3/8 ar500 plate and its covered in mill scale, sometimes thick and tough to grind off.. grinding whole sheets before cutting would take forever.. I'll sure give it a shot though.. i was hoping to get clean cuts on mild steel and I would just accept the dross on the AR plate because of the scale.. kinda figured it would be worse because of it but it would be as good as it gets anyways..
Rtodahl01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Rtodahl01 »

As of yesterday I solved the same problem with my powermax 45.
I wasted a lot of material playing with voltage and travel speed.
Put in a new o ring, BOOM! BADA BING!
cuts fine.
Try that and all new consumables.
Can't hurt.
And it was my cure.
Hope this helps
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dfrick23 »

Thanks for that, I Did a few cuts tonight after replacing the o-ring and grinding on the sheet both sides without much success. They still look pretty much the same and somewhat fairly inconsistent.. the table works fine calibration wise, i have stopped enough dry runs to trust that the floating z height is accurate but had to move on tonight and cut some .25 inch stuff out which turned out decent.. idk what's up with the 3/8... I've had this 45xp in use for about 6 months n cut up lots of 3/8 sheets with it and they have all had what I would call excess slag.. rtodahl01, what speed have you found to cut the best for you and any chance you can post a pic of something you have Cut? Since I started this post I have used 5 new nozzles, electrodes, and shields. ( they were not worn just using fresh one for testing) I think its safe to say it's not a consumables problem.. anyone care to post pics or videos of a 45xp cutting 3/8 and getting good results with it??? Before clean up
14jkur
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 14jkur »

Were you able to resolve this issue?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”