Powermax XP45 losing arc

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Powermax XP45 losing arc

Post by SeanP »

Well I made the switch from the 45 to the XP 45, so far very happy with the results, getting far more consistent edge angularity on the thicker plate, the finecuts work great as well.

However I do have a couple of problems that I can't figure out, it seems to show up more on thicker material 10mm & 12mm, when piercing I have had quite a few times, just as it breaks through it looses arc but motion keeps going, then the arc fires again and carries on, sometimes piercing through again on the move, not ideal!

Tried all sorts, longer pierce delay, shorter delay, work clamp on material, thc off for holes.
Never had the old 45 do this, in fact I connected the old 45 with the XP duramax torch as a test, with no loss of arc on the same job.

It's just random when it happens, perhaps 2-5% of pierces, another thing I have had is between cuts gas post flow stopping as the arc stops rather than continuing on after arc goes out to cool the torch, even with ear muffs on you notice straight away as it just doesn't sound right.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of thing?

Video link here showing problem
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qnwdSBs4VKAuGJZv2

Cutting 1.5mm - finecuts - zero dross
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kFSbvvi3jw330WHP2
pierce.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Powermax XP45 losing arc

Post by Brand X »

Just one thought to narrow it down farther.. Have you tried the standard 45 torch on the XP.? Might point to a machine issue, if it did not show up with that torch..
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

Have you noticed how high the arc voltage is getting? Maybe outside the 50/200 limits? (if that is where yours are set)
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Brand X wrote:Just one thought to narrow it down farther.. Have you tried the standard 45 torch on the XP.? Might point to a machine issue, if it did not show up with that torch..
I haven't actually tried it that way around, I wasn't sute how compatible that torch is with the XP.
The supplier sent a new torch to try, didnt put it in the cable track just hung it from above, I fired a few holes in a 12mm skeleton, probably 30 or so and no probs,
Went back to my XP torch cut another 20 with that again no probs.
I have more base plates this week, so it will get a good test there.
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

sphurley wrote:Have you noticed how high the arc voltage is getting? Maybe outside the 50/200 limits? (if that is where yours are set)
I wouldn't have thc on for holes, even with the pic below, there would have been a 5 sec delay for thc, the arc was lost just as it broke through and it started movement, thanks anyway.
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Sean,

I'd contact Hypertherm about that. It doesn't seem normal that the plasma cutter will turn on the arc again after a flameout, so to me it's pointing to a plasma cutter issue.

I thought if you had a flameout, then the cnc controller would have to issue an M5 and a subsequent M3 before the torch could fire again.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

You want to keep an eye on the interface your using for your plasma cutter. If its the CandCNC PWM see if it shows the torch light turning off and on. This can be an indication that the PC your using with the DTHCII is failing.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

BTA Plasma wrote:You want to keep an eye on the interface your using for your plasma cutter. If its the CandCNC PWM see if it shows the torch light turning off and on. This can be an indication that the PC your using with the DTHCII is failing.
Thanks, yes it is the CandCNC pwm I'm using, will try and watch what's happening with it.
How come if I swap back to the old 45 with the new torch I'm not seeing this problem happen? it's a strange one.
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

beefy wrote:Sean,

I'd contact Hypertherm about that. It doesn't seem normal that the plasma cutter will turn on the arc again after a flameout, so to me it's pointing to a plasma cutter issue.

I thought if you had a flameout, then the cnc controller would have to issue an M5 and a subsequent M3 before the torch could fire again.

Keith.
The supplier I bought it from to be fair are being very helpful, they want me to test the new second torch to start with and then they might have to take the unit back for testing they said, it's a damn pain when I can't replicate the problem though.

There was 115 holes I cut in that yesterday between the 2 xp torches I have, not one failure.
IMG_20171204_092435.jpg
I came to this job this morning using the torch that came with the XP and first hole same problem, ah I thought go on rusty stuff I will put the work clamp on direct, but no a few holes later same thing happened perhaps 3 more times.
IMG_20171204_092639.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If the plasma arc shuts off and it is an issue with the plasma....you will get an error signal on the plasma power supply. If the issue is from the plasma start output from the CNC...then you will not get an error code at the plasma. You need to go to the plasma front panel and look for the LED error signal right after it stops.... Jim Colt Hypertherm
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Thanks Jim,
I'm not getting any error codes at all, it's a strange one as I can go back to the old 45 unit with xp or 45 torch and not have the problem at all.
I'm struggling to know where the problem lies.
I will keep an eye out to see if there is a brief error code when it happens again.
How about when the gas post flow shutting off at the same time as arc goes out (after a successful cut) how can that happen?
It's not happening that often, but something amiss somewhere.
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If the start relay output from your CNC bounces (which can happen if there is electrical noise affecting the CNC electronics) it can cause the arc to start, then stop, then possibly start again. If it bounces at the end of the cut it can stop the post flow gas. I sense an electrical noise interference issue.

It is possible that the interface cable from the Powermax CPC port is causing electrical noise to cause this issue. Jim Colt
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Thanks again Jim, I'll keep investigating, its strange I cut the heck out of a 6mm & 4mm sheets today, it never missed a beat, must say I'm liking the cut quality.
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”