cnc program for 2007 chevy silverado bumpers

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
gordy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

cnc program for 2007 chevy silverado bumpers

Post by gordy »

does anyone have or know where I can get a program to cut out my own bumpers with a cnc
nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: cnc program for 2007 chevy silverado bumpers

Post by nalin400m »

:roll:
Nalin Manufacturing, LLC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Bulltear Starlab 4'x8'
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

gordy wrote:does anyone have or know where I can get a program to cut out my own bumpers with a cnc
Yep it’s called autocad, Inkscape, Torchmate cad, solid works and a bunch of others.

Larry Cameron
RusticMetalArt
gordy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by gordy »

I am really trying to be lazy about it and buy a program already made I work at a college and im a welding instructor and could program my own but I am wanting to buy one its easier that way
Peechy
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Peechy »

http://www.plasmaspider.com/download/file.php?id=43683
I made that one and put it on a dodge looks good
8-)
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Gordy what you're wanting is a cut file and not a program.
What type file does your cutter work off of? ie. DXF, SVG, ???
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

WOW! College instructor doesn't know the difference between a cut file and a program and he's LAZY! I'm beginning to understand what's happen to our education system. :lol:

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Sounds like this is the perfect way to actually teach some students some basic fundamental lessons of what it is like in the real world when they get out on their own and don't have the millions of tax incentive dollars that a college has to just throw at something and get it done.

This is the reason a college graduate in the trade community isn't worth crap in the field.

Grab yourself some cardboard (as close to the same thickness of steel you are using) and box tape and start cutting out shapes that make your bumpers look the way you want them to. Once you get a cardboard mock-up that looks good, carefully cut the seams of tape however you want until you can lay it flat on the ground. Once done then pull out your measuring tape and start laying the pieces out. You can most likely make the majority of the bumper out of a single cut and then use a brake to bend it up. Weld it up and fasten it to the truck. This entire process shouldn't take more than two - three days (depending on the complexity of the bumpers - installed winch, step cut-outs, diamond plate - etc...) Two weeks at the most but learning HOW to do something is much more valuable than just plugging it into a million dollar program and having the results spit out at you.

Real world solutions for students that will need it. Once they learn this process they should have a very good idea on how to do many others.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Metal Works
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Works »

Oh God so right I have run into these people that what some else to do the work then take credit for the work and not do there job they are payed for.
runninwild400

Post by runninwild400 »

Those who can do, those who can't teach. :D
Brian
Metal-Magic
MolandMetals
1/2 Star Elite Contributing Member
1/2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MolandMetals »

I teach high school Metals and Fabrication, we have built bumpers 4 different ways.
I have had students do cardboard mock-ups, measure, draw and cut their parts. that is by far the best way to do a truly custom bumper. We also found through experience that we don't have to build the entire unit out of cardboard, half is enough and we mirror the other half in the design software.
There was the one time I allowed a student to just start cutting metal to build a bumper. He got it done and was happy with it, but I definitely don't recommend doing it that way.
We HAVE and will likely continue to purchase plans for bumpers when they are available. In my opinion doing so is not a shameless way to go. This is the case especially if my students do not have the ability to imagine a project or have a solid idea of what they are trying to achieve. I get quite a few students who have a solid set of welding skills, but do not have enough confidence in their fabrication/ design ability to motivate themselves to start a daunting project, so purchased plans work well for them; and the projects generally go together quickly with few errors.
The last bumper we built was fully designed on Inventor before we even took a piece of paper to the truck. I takes careful measurement, and a good idea of what the student wants before he gets started but it worked sweet! The student measured the vehicle and drew the part as a 3-D solid. We exported and assembled the faces in AutoCAD and printed the layout full size to test fit. When we confirmed the fit, we cut the parts and built the bumper. It was awesome!
In each case, except the purchased plans, deciding how to securely and safely attach the thing to the vehicle was the most challenging part.

Each of these methods has its pros and cons. Picking a single method for building a bumper is going to be different for most fabricators depending on time available to build their project, skill, motivation and desired outcome. I always ask "Why do you want to build a bumper?" If they just want a bumper, they should buy one. If they want the opportunity to build their own, or have something specific they need/want in the project, They can get started.

SOOOOO finally to answer the question posed in the post, diyweldingplans.com has a set for a 07-1/2 1500 and movebumpers.com sells a Weld-it yourself kit with the mounts and several different options for "customization".
stillworkin
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stillworkin »

MolandMetals the bumper on diyweldingplans.com is actually my bumper that they host for me. I am in the works with a rear bumper for the same model year that i'll host there also.
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

Fusion 360 is free and loaded with tutorials on YouTube.

Built this one in Fusion: http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... 29#p147039

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”