Is green cut worth the money?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Gofast33
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Is green cut worth the money?

Post by Gofast33 »

I am new to this. What is the best cutting fluid for a plasma table? Or just use water?
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Is green cut worth the money?

Post by djreiswig »

I use water with a box of washing soda dissolved in it. It's inexpensive and keeps the rust down. It can be a little messy when the water evaporates.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

djreiswig wrote:I use water with a box of washing soda dissolved in it. It's inexpensive and keeps the rust down. It can be a little messy when the water evaporates.
+1
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

djreiswig wrote:I use water with a box of washing soda dissolved in it. It's inexpensive and keeps the rust down. It can be a little messy when the water evaporates.
+2

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I don't know if it's our water over here or the fact I drain down to a plastic tank every night but hardly put any sodium nitrite in these days and never get any problems with rust, I maybe just add 4 teaspoons to 100 gal of water.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

For those of you using washing soda can you please post how much you use to what quantity of water, I have only a small table but think I may have been over doing the quantity as I got quite a lot of powdery deposits.

Adrian
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hello

I use about 1.5 lbs. in 90 gallons of water. The key is use enough washing soda to get the pH above 8 so the steel doesn't want to rust to bad. The higher the pH up to a point the less the steel will want to rust.

John
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

islander261 wrote:I use about 1.5 lbs. in 90 gallons of water.
same here

we use a little more but usually fill the 4x8 table and have 2- 55 barrels under the table
mix the washing soda in a 5 gal bucket and pour it in, i use a t-handle allen wrench chucked up in a drill
if you just pour washing soda into water it will set up like concrete :mrgreen:
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

Thanks for the information doing a conversion from US gals to litres
Ib's to Kg etc. I make that around 340 Litres to 680 grams of soda, I have probably been using around 6 times that amount like using what would be equivalent to 15 gals to 1.5 lbs of soda, perhaps that is a reason for all the powdery deposits I had.

Adrian
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

+3. Srems to do a really good job and its cheap as!
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

plus when you need to empty your table just run the hose out to the lawn
and washing soda is cheap enough you can empty it as often as you want :mrgreen:
ScottF
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ScottF »

Forgive my ignorance but I am trying to learn. Does the washing soda bubble up in use? Do you still have to recirculate the fluid? I am all about using something cheaper if I can. I guess one of my concerns would be the formation of bacteria. I have heard horror stories of infections caused by bacteria in lathe and mill coolants that use soluble oil and I don't know if that is an issue with water tables or not.

Thanks in advance or the info!
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I've been using the same batch of washing soda since 2013 with just occasional toping up the water as it evaporates. I drain down to a plastic barrel at night. I have never had any issues with algae growth, smells, bubbles or anything else. I think the high PH inhibits anything nasty growing in the water. If I need to pick anything up out of the water, I generally use a magnet on a stick, so I rarely have any of the water on my hands.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

no bubbling, no recirculating

we do use a splash of pond algaecide in our table, maybe wyogreen uses more washing soda
we change out the table water every 6-12 months, never worried about hands in water

do pre-mix the washing soda in a 5 gallon bucket with a paint stirrer in a drill
ScottF
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ScottF »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

I know this is an old post but I started using the green additive and now I have a table full of slime. As soon as I get back to the shop I'll post a picture and the name brand, but I've only had a minor issue with some slime like algae up til now.
Before I went on summer vacation I cleaned everything really good. I reused a lot of the green additive, but when I got down to the last 25 gallons or so I just dumped it, scrubbed and rinsed out my tub and topped the table off with water. I went back to the shop today and the entire surface was covered in a sheet of this slime.
I came here to see if anyone else had been dealing with it. Regardless of how many times I washed my hands, I will also add the last few months I've gotten several infections in the cuts on my hands and I thought this was a contributing factor.

Any suggestions on my slime problem would be appreciated, but for the sake of the thread and ppl who might need it in the future I will post any progress I make.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I've never used the green additive, but I do use Hangsterfer S-500 CF added to my water. I normally mix it about 4 oz per gallon for my cnc machines, but dilute it down to around maybe 2 oz per gallon for my plasma water table. I have no problem with algae, and I use it mainly for the anti-corrosive properties as my water pan is constructed from 11 ga. steel. I've been using it for over 6 years now with no complaints.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I also use the washing soda solution to clean the metal parts after soaking in muriatic acid and water for dross and mill scale removal.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

I spoke to Mark at Plasma Green and he was awesome. He answered the phone, never put on hold and he was spot on with his suggestions.
My PH was at 7.5 and it needed to be 8.8 or better. The day after I was able to follow up it was almost perfect and by the end of that day it was!
https://youtube.com/shorts/gXnavwukwM0
PXL_20230607_181502830.jpg
PXL_20230620_154311454.jpg
PXL_20230621_125149180.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Plasma Green Mark
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Plasma Green Mark »

Just reading this! Sorry I'm late to the party, but thanks for using our Plasma Green ETC Weld! Your table looks great! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”