I am new here

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

I am new here

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Just thought I would say helo. Found this site and felt it offers a lot I can learn from. Maybe in time I will be of help to someone. I am in the process of starting to build a plasma table with CandCnc Blade runner 5 axis control package. Table will be used in my farm and repair shop, may make a few sighns for friends etc. Waiting on rest of supplys for table to get here.
I feel one should never buy what one can build, even if it cost a little more to build it. Anyone can buy it but there is not much pride in saying I bought it. Just my 2 cents worth.
With that said I just gladly spent the 20 $ for the right to view and download some of the files, because I have not mastered the drawing programs, may never get it, I can draw a straight line with a straightedge sometime(grin)
Thanks in advance I am sure I will ask some dumb questions, but I may have a few good ideas also
Mike
admin
Site Admin

Re: I am new here

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site, I am sure you will it both educational and entertaining if you are just getting started. Let us know if you have any problems and there are plenty of great folks around here who will be happy to lend a hand. Enjoy the site :D
tentonjj
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tentonjj »

Welcome to the site. I to have the same package from candcnc. Any questions feel free to ask. I have found a lot of info on here from talking and reading others posts.
Jayson Johnson
JMJ Graphix
920-517-7122
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ronsii »

Welcome to the site Kentuckyfarmer :) I am sure you will find this site very useful just with the tidbits of info and helpful tips that are sprinkled all through this site, just have to start looking here and there.

There is also a ton of knowledge between all of the members here that can come in handy should you run into problems dealing with your machine software or hardware. ;)

One other thing... If you happen to have a digital camera don't hesitate to take some pics of your machine being built along with any ideas you come up with in making something work or fit together better cause we always like pics :D
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

Welcome.
I'm also new to the world of CNC plasma cutting. We have some helpful and very smart people here.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Finally got started on table got frame layed out and legs welded on still need to add some braces and supports, It got put on hold , my loader tractor droped the clutch yesterday morn, so its gets attention next, cows get bitchy if they dont eat, go figure. My CandC stuff should be here next week, maybe by then tractor will be out of the way and table will be back on track. One other thing got a roll of 3m vhb tape to mount the racks with, this stuff is badass, taped 2 pieces of 2x2 tube together with it, used about 6 inches of tape I cant pull them apart, may twist them but not striaght pull.
Latter

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Great looking start on that table... looks like it's going to be sturdy! What gantry did you go with for your build? Keep up the pics, will be following your build & hope all goes well for you!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

When I get to it I will build my gantry out of aluminum channel t keep the weight down.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Getting closer got leg braces in, some supports, side rails, and angle iron vee rails installed. Start building gantry is next step.
Quick question is anybody using the 5th axis for tube cutting, and if so are you using a extended gantry ? If any has them I could use some ideas on how you set it up.
Thanks
Please excuse the poor photo quality cell phone is all I had at the time
Mike

Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Good progress! Are you going to build a water table? I plan to use the same design that Plain Ol Bill used for his... really slick! Also have a new idea for the slat system too. I've been scouring the net for ideas and supplies for the gantry, and found a few places that are awesome for table building supplies and resources... if you're interested let me know and I'll send you the links. I'm hoping to order my electronics package from Tom at CandCnC pretty soon... still not ready to start building, but will be able to design & brainstorm until I am ready.

Thanks for the update... really hope your build goes smooth!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Gaining ground, got table painted, put in slat supports and slats. Got started on gantry. hope to get gantry finished Sun.
Pics below let me know if anybody sees something I missed, any and all coments welcome and helpfull.
Mike

plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Interesting design. It looks strong yet light at the same time. Is that an alum. "I" beam for the gantry cross piece? Take a pic of what the gantry is sitting on for all of us and where your gear racks will be. What are you planning for plasma dust?

Bill
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Bill the gantry is made of 2 1 1/2 x 3 al c chanels back to back to form a I beam , the gantry is rideing on 1 x 1 angle turned with the vee up for the vee guide wheels to roll on, it shows different in the photos because when I painted the tabe I taped of the top part of the angle. I just could not stand the thought of linier rails and slides, if these wear out 20 bucks a couple hours and i am back cutting, if i ever get started. Racks are under the 2x2 tube the rails are mounted on, taped with 3m vhb tape so far so good this stuff is damn tuff. For dust cotroll I plan to use down draft vented outside, been kicking around the idea for a complete encloser with full size door to help prevent heat loss, draw outside air in and back out of the encloser when cutting.
Mike

Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: I am new here, table build lg

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Got in a little time on the motor and gear reduction over the weekend. This has been the most time consuming part so far, all parts cut just need to assemble the others.

Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Closer than I was a month or so ago, got about all the table mechanics worked out that was the easy part. Put on e track and ran wires, that takes awhile. Hooked up computor and done some test, no torch, everything worked smoth, suprise.Still need to do final motor tuning etc. Played with sheetcam a little me and this program are not on the same page yet, have not got my head around it yet.
Here on some poor quality photos, any and all comments or thoughts welcome. I have built a lot of things, but this is my first shot at cnc, good or bad I think it , no i know it is smarter than me.
Monday i may get around to hooking up th PM65, man i hate to start rewiring inside a brand new machine

jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

On the Powermax65....I can't remember if you bought a hand torch or a machine torch system....if it is a machine torch system there is no reason to do any rewiring inside....the connections can be made on the rear panel cpc connector....if you have a THC, there will be simple screw terminal conections for raw arc voltage inside...but no rewiring.

If you are using a hand torch....then there will be some cutting and splicing to bypass the torch safety trigger....being a Hypertherm employee I cannot help you with that (bypassing a safety circuit), but it is rather easy to do.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Thanks Jim I got both torchs, I figured out the raw arc volts from the hypertherm service bulliten, got torch and thc board all wired up today need to pick up screws to mount limit switchs.
Mike
I see spots
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by I see spots »

Looks like a good size table !

What is your drive ratio? (looks like 2 reductions on there)

bob
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Drive ratio is 3 to 1 16 teeth on motor 48 on pinion shaft. Hint should have been 10 and 30 I used bigger gears for more teeth contact, made mount design a pain smaller would have worked better, all well live and learn
Mike
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Its been a while but I got the table moved into its permenant home I hope.
Got the bottom skirts on and duct work ran for the downdraft system. This thing makes a unreal difference. I used a grain bin arreation fan for my table, weather proof tefc motor, they are built for use in harsh enviroments, should work for plasma table. Link for bin fans http://www.sloanex.com/ mine is not that loud, fan is outside. Before winter I plan to enclose table and provide outsde air to save shop heat.
Mike

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”