Over Head Crane ideas

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
pitbumpers
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Over Head Crane ideas

Post by pitbumpers »

Just got my 5x10 LDR table. I am looking for any and all ideas of loading material. Swing cranes, over head cranes, Something I could build. Pictures are appreciated, Thank you !!
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Over Head Crane ideas

Post by rdj357 »

I don't have a picture handy but I built a gantry crane. I have 2 I-beams running lengthwise alongside table and a rolling I-beam on trolleys between them. Off the bottom of that I have an electric winch mounted to a trolley. I use a vertical plate clamp or two horizontal plate clamps and chain to move my material around. It extends well past the end of the table so I can drive the forklift in or back a truck in and lift material off of them and roll it out over the table easily.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Search "plate storage" "material handling" there are lots of old posts on this subject.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Pa.Pete
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Pa.Pete »

I am interested also. I tried the search but did not come up with anything.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

My table is 4 x 4 and I never cut anything larger than 1/4 so far. If I can find the right little winch I am going to mount garage door track on the ceiling and use rollerblade wheels to support the cross beam.
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

sawdust1 wrote:My table is 4 x 4 and I never cut anything larger than 1/4 so far. If I can find the right little winch I am going to mount garage door track on the ceiling and use rollerblade wheels to support the cross beam.
Check out the wenches at HF, the ones used for ATVs work well and for the size you need they don't cost much.

Larry
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

Larry83301 wrote:
sawdust1 wrote:
Check out the wenches at HF, the ones used for ATVs work well and for the size you need they don't cost much.

Larry
^Larry, I prefer the wenches at Hooters to HF. Just personal preference of course.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

I stack multiple sheets on a sheet dolly and just move it under the truss rail hoist as I need them on the table.

There's a lot of good buys on dual wheel heavy caster's out there now. PM me if you want some good links to heavy dual 1400 lb casters under $40.

Here's a good thread on sheet storage..

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... ge#p115734

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I think I posted this on one of the other topics but here is the rack that I built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7YscmOMFwg
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
2015cmax
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 2015cmax »

I made this trolley hoist from scrap metal before I actually bought my table, figuring I would need to find away to lift heavy material. It is basically a 2000 pound capacity Trolley and an I-beam setup. I used a HF wench that came with an wireless remote.Make sure you use one with both power in and out. I Welded mounting plates to bolt (grade 8 bolts) the wench to the trolley. To maintain balance of the trolley, I mounted two small motorcycle batteries with hold downs- one on each side of the trolley. I welded a parallel piece of steel in the front and rear with about 1/16" clearance to the bottom of the I-beam, to avoid tilting side to side and front to rear. It has been very stable. The red and black wires that are just hanging are for charging or connecting my trickle charger. Hindsight- I should have waited til after I got my table so I could cut the parts I needed rather than using scrap. It was cheep, simple and effective.

phillipd
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by phillipd »

pitbumpers if you have the room an old forklift is the way to go. We have 3 small ones that are rated between 3k-8k pounds. The 3k pound one is almost 50 years old but I got it for $500 and it fits in tight places nicely. It handles a 5x10 sheet of 3/4" with no problem. We use a magnet to pick up a sheet off of a pile and slide 4x4's under it so we can get the forks under it. I don't like using a 1k pound magnet to move sheets very far and never over the table.
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

We have a small Hyster forklift we bought over 10 years ago for $500, built a short boom for it and use a 700 lb. magnet. Couldn't get by without it.

Allen
Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

Black Forest wrote:
Larry83301 wrote:
sawdust1 wrote:

Larry
^Larry, I prefer the wenches at Hooters to HF. Just personal preference of course.

E or I not much good at spelling some words BUT I'm not alone in this, others have the same problem. :lol: :lol:

Larry

P.S I also prefer the wenches at Hooters and the winches at HF! :D
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Can't afford the wenches at Hooters...maybe HF.

Allen
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

When I built the shop I used a 32 lb/ft H beam down the center with a span of 33 feet and a height of 13' to the bottom the beam. Got a great deal on a CM 2 ton double reeve hoist with the traverse motor. If I remember right it was $400 on Ebay. I use a CM horizontal to vertical 3/4" plate clamp most of the time. The whole thing is high enough to lift a 5' wide plate over my material cart with a 4' vertical plate on it. I typically bring in the material with my Bobcat with pallet forks. Logistics are 90% of the work.

Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”