Selling someone elses design

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
tturanger
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Selling someone elses design

Post by tturanger »

Imagine if the guy who originally posted the "Tattered Flag" could claim royalties...
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

kb3gun wrote:I would buy the dxf from him, then leave a negative review. (example: CD was blank and he refused to send a replacement) It used to be hard to get a negative removed. Not sure anymore.

I no longer buy on ebay because people would blackmale me for money back or they would leave a negative review.
Great idea but what i've decided to do instead is sell the same file(my file)for a lower price :)
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I've decided to give the file away for free so here it is. I just saved everyone $8.99
Winged Seahorse.plt
winged seahorse1.jpg
winged seahorse.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I have a guy close to me who breaks copyright laws like its nothing. He does disney,harley,ford,chevy,mopar,harry potter,sports teams. He puts it all over his Facebook and also sells it in these flea market stores. Nothing is off limits to this guy i just shake my head and have to think that one day he is gonna pay the piper. I have had people send me pics of others work wanting me to copy it i just tell them to buy it from the original artist.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I had a woman contact me yesterday telling me how she saw my work at a local festival I did over the weekend and wanted to know if I could make her something she saw online. She said she would rather have someone local do it than buy it from somewhere else. I told her we would be happy to design something for her but aren't in the business of copying another artists work.
EastCoastOrnamental
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by EastCoastOrnamental »

Brand new to the forum and the plasma world and would like to know what people think about this particular situation.

I found an octopus online (jpg photo) and I would like to trace it, edited it, then indexed it to cut for a customer. Is this theft in your eyes? I am new to this world and would like to operate ethically. It really didn't even cross my mind that it would be theft since I changed things and just basically used it as a base until I saw this thread. I'm guessing this is not an acceptable practice by the way this thread has gone. Please advise.

Sorry for the hijack, but since you were already in dialog so I figured it would be ok to ask here. Please delete if not appropriate.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

sunnybunny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by sunnybunny »

The world we live in now is not the World we grew up in.
Sorry for your loss.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

If you post pics of it online, it's gonna get copied. That's all there is to it. This stuff we do is stupid easy to copy from a picture, We're all sitting at a computer, we see a cool design, we all "have" the software to do a trace... Now, keep in mind that not "all" of us have morals... and there are alot of us.

It's gonna happen. If you don't want it copied, don't post it online.

Take it as a compliment.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

Amen Scratch......well said
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

If I see an object (not copyrighted logos or images like Mickey) and have to spend a good amount of time converting it from say a sculpture or painting or some other printed item, then go even further to the trouble to ensure it's a well designed metal item that looks good and will cut well, then there's a good case to be made for that being something that was fair use. I've done this with cars, animals, and plenty of illustrations, and I don't have any concerns. That said, if I spend all that time and money to create that item for sale, I'm kinda hesitant to share. Maybe that's not as magnanimous as others here, like Peechy, but I'd rather contribute in my own way to this community through tool tips, DIY projects for builds, and business insights. That's also why I pay $20 a year to support the forum for all it's different uses.

P.S. Darryl... thanks for the Share!! :)
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Maniac
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Maniac »

It takes so little to change a few nodes around and then it is there design. The nature of the web. How many copy's of the mona lisa are there in the world.
Peechy
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Peechy »

magnanimous had to look that one up I cant even pronounce it . I really am from the hicks ...;( I like the spider , Not much for population where I live and Business Is slow . I think that's why I like to share ideas when they come up, give someone else a chance to make some $. Bottom line I buy a file from Makecnc.com or anywhere else I use it for customers never share , If You pay for it don't share it , show some respect
Last edited by Peechy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8-)
Lmpsr70357
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Lmpsr70357 »

Copyright Information and Disclaimer
We have created this page to inform our customers and visitors of our Copyright Policy.
First off, all information, documents, files and images on our site are Copyright makecnc.com LLC, a Registered Delaware Company and are registered with the copyright office they are also protected by international copyright laws.
We have also applied for Trademark Protection for our name and products.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
When you purchase a set of files or any other digital product from our website you are entering an agreement with us to abide by our copyright policy. We try to help other small business and mom and pop shops to be able to use our patterns to make some income so we have created a policy in line with that goal.
1:  You may make 50 cut kits from a pattern after purchase that you can sell or do what you want with. After this you will need to repurchase the pattern from our site to gain a user license to make another 25 products from it you can repeat this four times but after that we consider you a mass producer and you will need to negotiate a commercial use license for the patterns you want to make. Each commercial use license is different and is based on your individual plan to execute.
2:  You do not have the right to post our files images or assembly guides online or share them in any digital format. You may Not make printed copies of our plans for resale. You may only print one copy of the instruction guide for each kit that you sell and are Not allowed to sell or distribute it digitally in any form.
3: You may not sell, give away free or distribute electronically on the internet CD rom or DVD or flash drive any files or instruction PDFs you purchase or download from this website. You may not post our free files or documents on any forum or website without our express permission in writing. All products are copyright makecnc.com llc, a registered Delaware limited liability company.
A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE
At makeCNC and makeCNC workshops we work hard to bring you an ever expanding library of patterns and projects to make with your robotic tools and scroll saws etc and we do not make a fortune doing it because we keep our prices Low enough for you all to afford...It takes Many hours work to create just one pattern so you can imagine at the prices we sell how can we make money ?  It's to do with the volume and we have enough products online now to keep food on the table.
BUT this only works because You, our Wonderful Customers support us and  DO NOT share our files freely among your friends and family or on forums and Facebook. The most certain way to see no more patterns is to steal our Hard work and share it around.  Please help us to continue creating these wonderful patterns we enjoy so much making for you and report piracy to us as well as Not become pirates yourself. If you want to learn how to make your own patterns then visit us at makeCNC workshops and we will teach you how and even help you sell them.  You don't have to steal!
Disclaimer
The information within this site and on our educational pages and in our instructional videos, while valuable to anyone interested in CNC, cannot be considered formal education and does not necessarily fit industry best standards or industry practices The information available on this site is intended to help CNC newcomers along with the hobbyist and semi-pro CNC machine users to enjoy their interest in this exciting new age of robotic technology. We expect anyone using CNC tools or any tools for that matter to follow common sense safety procedures in all aspects of working with them and with any projects, files or information gathered from this site.
makeCNC is Not responsible for how you use any files on this site and will Not be responsible for the use of any products you make from files on this site. Please do not make small parts and the give them to small children for obvious reasons.
If you sell projects in kits that you make from our files You need to note on those projects about safety and warn of use in regards the age of users. makeCNC will be Not be held responsible for any actions taken against people or companies making products from our files.
Thanks and Enjoy and Keep Shopping makeCNC!
nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by nalin400m »

I've spent over $37,000 since 2010 fighting legitimate intellectual property theft in court. Black and white/open shut stuff. Legal fees add up really quick, and at the end of the day, I will never sell that much of said stolen designs to be ahead.
Nalin Manufacturing, LLC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Bulltear Starlab 4'x8'
Kodiak Dodge
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kodiak Dodge »

How do you know he didn't buy the DXF from someone else that pirated it? Before you go after someone and slam them you better have some facts. Thinking its your design means nothing.
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ColoradoWayne »

Just so everyone knows, all it takes is ONE (1) person to photograph your work that violates a trademark or copyright and turn it in to the rightful owner and you "may" get a nasty letter that could cost you money. Don't ask me how I know, but know that experience is an excellent teacher! End of the day - party with the most money will probably win. :-(
Wayne
LDR Motion Systems 4 x 4 water table
Hypertherm Powermax 65
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Kodiak Dodge wrote:How do you know he didn't buy the DXF from someone else that pirated it? Before you go after someone and slam them you better have some facts. Thinking its your design means nothing.
He s selling a DXF not a product. If he purchased it from someone else then he still shouldn't sell the file. He would have the right to produce and sell product from it but not sell the file.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
dhannahjr45
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dhannahjr45 »

People, you can't sue someone for what there doing on here with these files,unless you have a registered trade mark on file and can prove what they are cutting out and selling has your registered trade mark on it then your screwed. its as simply as that. my friend is a lawyer that deals in this field and he said you have to register a trade mark to claim its your's.
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

Not to beat a dead horse, but what about the Punisher Skull with the stars and bars? I heard Marvel is going after Punisher skull makers. I've made a couple from here, just wonder are we protected cause we got the design from here? Just curious
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ColoradoWayne »

RobertJohnson - easy answer - no. IF something is patented or copyrighted or even protected under current trade dress you can be sued for selling anything that closely resembles it. Even if you buy the artwork from one of the slugs on ebay selling the artwork, you can be sued. I don't write from a position of "I was told", I write from a position of getting the dreaded cease and desist letter accompanied with the send us a check for thousands of dollar experience. It is probably not that Marvel would ever go after you - but someone that sees your work and for whatever reason takes a picture of it and sends it to Marvel with your contact information - that is all it takes.
Wayne
LDR Motion Systems 4 x 4 water table
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Merica_Metal »

You see different files everywhere and cool stuff everywhere. on here, Ebay, Etsy, other plasma company's work etc. I look at these things all the time to find new cool things or to seek ideas or inspiration for new ideas or even to add a twist to what's already been done. In my personal view I see zero issues with it and I post high quality pictures of all of my work and if someone uses it so be it.
2017 Shop Sabre SideKick 4
Upgrades: Marker/Plotter, Laser sights, Engraver
Hypertherm PM65
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I've always found these matters a bit of a joke. As soon as "art" is involved, there's loads of talk of morals, and doing the right thing, etc.

I think we're all quite happy for the thousands of things we use in our everyday life, that we get for a price we can afford. That affordable price is only because everyone copies and tries to sell and the price comes down. Someone, somewhere, at some time had the brains and creativity to come up with some wonderful idea that benefits us all, yet now every company seems to sell it. Do we all get on our moral horses and go looking for the person who first came up with some design, product, or whatever and only give him/her the business. Of course we don't, but as soon as it viewed as "art" the attitude changes, and it's morally wrong to copy that. Fair enough, it may be legally wrong but morals seem to be getting a lot of mention here.

It's basically the way of the world from day one, and it's benefited us more than it's taken from us.

I just focus on being able to create what I want by putting time, money and effort into learning how to do it. But I realise that anything I put out there will be copied in a heartbeat. I just think of all the copied ideas I get for cheap in my everyday life and suddenly I don't feel so hard done by.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
OwensRacing
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by OwensRacing »

Recently I was sent a message with a video. The video was my oldest son's girlfriend's uncle opening a gift. It was identical to something I designed after the Cubs won. I looked at was like man that kinda looks bad....thats when i realized it wasnt my design but a crappy knock off.

Oh well. I stay busy.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

IMO, this isn't something to get wound about. I ran into a bit of this myself. Posted a large custom-ordered clock that I did for a customer. Received several requests for the file, but since "you'll have the only one" was part of the sales agreement, I wouldn't share the file.

Not too long afterwards, I saw one extremely similar pop up on Facebook. Did a bit of searching, and it's a guy about an hour from me. Contacted him, and he admitted to copying the design. I know he had to put in the work to copy it, as the file isn't "in the wild". I was initially very pissed, but finally realized I should take it as a compliment. I also realized there is no point being super "protective" about my work...a well known file-supplier / hired-drawer told me, "unless it's only like 50 pixels x 50 pixels, there's nothing I can't copy if I want it". And that's very true.

So, just need to keep coming up with original designs to stay ahead of the curve.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

Just curious, but when someone sends you a drawing or a picture of something and you can't find the drawing or the item for sale would this be considered theft. Being a school I have to play it to the safe side.

Hers is another question. Once we got the cnc up and running, a graduate of the program (always generous and giving back to the program) purchased a thumb drive with hundreds of images (mostly silhouettes) and all kinds of file types of each img. I didn't buy it and I have no idea if any of it or all of it was stolen, I don't have a bill of sale? What would you (anyone willing to comment) say about using those files? Fair game? don't risk it? With that said, I don't sell any of it, but I would like to share some of the thoughts with the students during discussions of the topic.

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”