Selling someone elses design

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Selling someone elses design

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I was browsing through ebay tonight and came across a seahorse I designed back in 2016 and never shared the file. Now my design is being sold on Ebay Just wanted to make people aware that some scumbags are reselling art files they never designed. I'm going to look through my paperwork to find the exact date of copyright in the morning. POS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DXF-CNC-dxf-for ... 2549725089?

Here's my design

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/479351954075408347/
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Selling someone elses design

Post by tnbndr »

Once something is out on the web it's pretty much open season!!!
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
langdoniron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by langdoniron »

Thats BS, Just because something is posted on the internet does not mean it's not theft to take someone else's intellectual property for commercial use. That is actually a crime and if the works originator wants to put in the effort he can get a court to stop you and award monetary damages.

The problem is the majority of the time the original designer of the work does not have the resources to go after infringers

Still does not make it "open season"
VPT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by VPT »

That happens, I've seen a couple of my designs used as well. Thats part of posting on the internet, someone will take it. If you want to keep it to yourself don't post any pics of it.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Society has reached a point where people do not care about the results of their actions.
Their interests are all that count, if they can do it they will. Stealing something is easier then working of it
You may try contacting eBay and having the seller band from the site, and adding a water mark on you artwork to try to protect it from copying attempts.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
dhannahjr45
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dhannahjr45 »

Hello, If you put a file on the internet with a Dxf file with it that's not stealing ! But if there was no DXF file with it and it was copied well that"s stealing a person"s hard work. That happened to me about a year ago know i put water marks with my picture"s.
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

Nonsense !

A DXF or a JPG are just different ways of representing something - they both boil down to a bag of bits and bytes and how a design is represented matters not a jot when it comes to copying.
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

AndrewMawson wrote:Nonsense !

A DXF or a JPG are just different ways of representing something - they both boil down to a bag of bits and bytes and how a design is represented matters not a jot when it comes to copying.
If you post a picture with the DXF you are giving it out for ALL to use any way they so desire. If you do not wish for others to youse your file don't post the DXF and only post a low resolution picture of your project. Doing this will insure that it will be very difficult to copy your project.
One thing to remember is that you are on this board to give and receive help in making files and sometimes the files themselves. If you have NEVER used and/or sold a project made from a file that you received from this board then you are in a position to complain about people using files that they did not make for themselves.
Just my $0.02 :D

Larry
dhannahjr45
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dhannahjr45 »

Thank you Larry83301. if you didn"t make the file that your cutting. then you must be copying someone else"s work right! get over it people were here to help each other!!!!!!
Peechy
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Peechy »

I like sharing files :D Cant say I have ever shared any copyright stuff myself ! 8-)
Last edited by Peechy on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
8-)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

"Any ORIGINAL work of art is protected by copyright law regardless of the format. That being said , there is no Copyright "police" you can call. It's a civil issue and it's like yor neighbor pissing in your yard....its up to you as the copyright owner to pursue and recover any damages you may have suffered. So in short it's up to you to defend any copyright, trademark and patent you may own or claim to own. That stacks the deck towards big companies with deep pockets and even then there is a point where its good money chasing bad. When you publish a DXF (or any vector file) its a ready to cut high resolution file versus a low resolution and/or watermarked bitmap that anyone with a scanner or camera can get. Both are "protected" but on one its a lot of work, and the other is 10 minutes (if that) of clean up. There is also the argument of how much change does it take on a piece of artwork to claim its original. If you look at a drwaing and redraw it yourself and make changes is that an infringment? That can end up being left in the hands of a court. In a lot of sites it states anything uploaded or posted becomes Pubic Domain. You might argue that you are due money from the sale of the resulting DXF from your original art and you would be right, but it would be in the form of a royality that would be some small % of the selling price (for that image) and any loss of sales on your product you can prove (damages) resulting from the infringment. If your product is primarily your finished product and not selling artwork it would be difficult to access damages . There are and have been for many years huge collections of clipart CD's in vector format that are mostly just copies of copies of either vectors or auto traced bitmaps. Quality is often poor or subject matter is more for stickers and "swap meet" type products. I would say focus on your core business and your customer base. Ideas are cheap. Its the follow though where value is created!
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I filed a notice of claimed infringement with EBay and provided my original proofs and copyright # so we'll see what happens. It's just a kick in the face when something you designed is being sold by someone else without your permission. I never posted the file so it was copied then traced. I was telling my wife just the other day that the people who try and live an honest life and do the right thing almost always get screwed over by lazy, no talent assholes that would rather rip you off than live an honest life. It's pretty pathetic.
levesquea
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by levesquea »

This is a difficult subject. But i hear ya.
If you take an image from the internet or any other site and copy it ...make a slight change to it...then you have little chance with Ebay.
i had the same thing happen to me with a wood wallart. The only difference was that mine was recycled wood.....and theirs were stained pine.
No hope in hell to get ebay to take it off.
Check on etsy and much of the makers their use the same items.....copied from each other....
Etsy makes money wether its copied or not. Yes they will investigate... but hard to prove its a copy.

Very frustrating.

Now.... let's say I take 3 dxf from this site. I make a piece that integrates all of them .....buts its now ONE piece of art.
What's the deal with that? is that legal?

Most artists are inspired by other artist's work... but copying 100% of the work is wrong.

It's very difficult to police that kinda stuff.

My opinion.
Plasmacam 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Everlast power Tig 255
Affinity Designer
Alibre expert
Vectric Aspire 10
see&see

Post by see&see »

Theft is not surprising anymore, it's a dam shame in our country that some leaders are encouraging with blessings for people to break specific common public domain laws and we witness it on the news every day. We removed part of the natural equation called CONSEQUENCE long ago. We are now suffering from the consequence of that.... Individual ownership in this nation is fast losing it's meaning and we all are responsible for letting it progress to this point..
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Zache82
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Zache82 »

One of the first questions I asked upon joining these forums was about this topic. I was told that you can do what you want, but you must contribute. I understand the frustration of seeing your work being sold for other's benefit, but isn't a sharing forum? I am not trying to downplay your feelings, I was just under the impression that you forfeit rights once you post here.
DXF

Post by DXF »

I had a picture copied from my website and posted on this forum asking someone to trace it a while back. If you post a decent picture on the internet it can be copied and traced. I have yet to see any picture copy protection that prevents a picture from being copied. Unless you have the $ to pursue legal action your best bet is to go on and make something new.....a millionaire friend of mine gave me that advice years ago.

Dave Hanks
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Zache82 wrote:One of the first questions I asked upon joining these forums was about this topic. I was told that you can do what you want, but you must contribute. I understand the frustration of seeing your work being sold for other's benefit, but isn't a sharing forum? I am not trying to downplay your feelings, I was just under the impression that you forfeit rights once you post here.
This is a sharing forum for sure! In this case the OP says they did not share the file here or anywhere else but instead it was traced by someone and is being sold on eBay.
Zache82
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Zache82 »

@rdj357

Woops. Guess I need more sleep. Yes, now I completely understand why the OP is upset.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

We have all heard that HD, Dizney and the Niffle would send a team of lawyers to your door and yet that doesn't seem to stop plenty of people from posting pics of their products which definitely seem to violate those copyrights, so I'm not really surprised when this kind of thing happens.

I do think that this is a good lesson for everyone here that's trying to making an honest effort to be original and make money by selling things they make on the internet through sites like eBay, Etsy or show off their work on Facebook or Pinterest and Instagram... Take good picks, but not so good that others with bad intentions will have it easy copying a design. There's only so much that can be done.

I know it sucks to see your hard work getting copied.

If it's any consolation...

1. Anyone in already in the business would be crazy to spend $9.00 on a single DXF, which means your design is probably not seeing much reproduction.

2. He's gonna get ripped off just as much if not more, just because his images are good enough to copy straight off his eBay listings. If he thinks his lens flair trick would slow anyone down, he's just mistaken. I'm not advocating this of course.

Good luck
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

I have started taking skewed photos of all my artwork. Anything straight on in a photo with high contrast colors (which we typically do to show off our artwork) can and will be copied easily with Inkscape.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
K D Metalwerks

Post by K D Metalwerks »

I just checked out the ebay listing. I also checked out the sellers other items. He has 481 dxf files for sale/ Browsing through them, I see many designs that have been shared on here. Me thinks he walks among us.
K D Metal Werks
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Power Max 45
Hobart Handler 190 Mig
Niagara 3"x 36" Slip Roll 14ga
Driess/ Krumph 4' box & pan brake 16ga
Hossfeld #2 Bender Ridgid 700 threader
Pexto 137-1 16ga. Stomp Shear
MADE IN USA
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

K D Metalwerks wrote:I just checked out the ebay listing. I also checked out the sellers other items. He has 481 dxf files for sale/ Browsing through them, I see many designs that have been shared on here. Me thinks he walks among us.
From what I've seen, all of Redline Steel's products are lifted straight from here. lol I don't think it should be a surprise to see people using/selling the shared files.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Peechy

Post by Peechy »

:D This is why i perfer to share.. whats the point in copy right so much easier to share allot less heart ache as well knowing that something that i shared may feed someones child or family brings a warm feeling to me .. People must look after one another , a childs life and future is way more important then any adults regardless of any religion or race .. Worrying about a copy right on a seahorse ! ? your waisting your time and energy even getting mad about it, as far as im concerned ... My point of veiw may not matter to you but i don't care ,
tnbndr wrote:Once something is out on the web it's pretty much open season!!!
8-)
langdoniron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by langdoniron »

I think some of you are missing the point, This was not a shared file. This was a unique piece of original work that was not "shared" but copied and sold commercially. Now it's one thing to see something you like and make one for yourself. Really that is still theft to make a direct copy of someone else's art but I doubt anyone would care much or give you much grief. It is another matter entirely though to steal someone's art and use it commercially. It's a dirtbag move at best.

To take something that has freely been given, such as a shared file here, and make a product involves the consent of the creator... It's another thing entirely
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

I would buy the dxf from him, then leave a negative review. (example: CD was blank and he refused to send a replacement) It used to be hard to get a negative removed. Not sure anymore.

I no longer buy on ebay because people would blackmale me for money back or they would leave a negative review.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”