PM45 works 50% of the time?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
alsirkin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PM45 works 50% of the time?

Post by alsirkin »

Hi folks, I have a weird one! My PM45 works with every other trigger pull. New consumables, dry air, worked fine 24 hours ago. The strangest thing to me is 15 seconds after I shut it down a light flashes on the front. Watch the video it is weird! I'm a bit frustrated with my hypertherm unit, I've had it for 5 years, I use it at the most 1 hour a week, and this is my 3rd major problem since the warranty expired. 1st the voltage divider stopped working properly, then the power supply failed and now this, I'm beginning to question the love for this brand. The video is linked below. Thanks in advance for any advise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5UV6eEoumIsM8a3l2
Mtw fdu
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PM45 works 50% of the time?

Post by Mtw fdu »

I think for starters you fired the torch too far away from the plate. It needs to be a lot closer than that. Doing that too many times will make the light go on and off. That light is to let you know that the consumables is deteriorating or there is an error. Try cutting to the book specs and you might see some changes.

Maybe Jim can chime in on this conversation???

Mtw fdu.
Camcutcnc 4 x 4 plasma cutter with UC 100 Motion Controller
Powermax 45 with Machine Torch
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs
alsirkin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by alsirkin »

It doesn't matter if it's .1" away from the steel it still fires on every other trigger pull.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm tech service is free, contact them and they will help you troubleshoot the issues. technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 . Before you do.....1. Please observe the error LED's on the front panel, an error will indicate whenever the unit misfires, this is valuable info for the techs.2. Be sure you have the correct consumable parts installed, the operators manual lists the part numbers and each consumable part has a laser etched part number. 3. Review the consumables inspection section in the Powermax45 operators manual, it tells you how to inspect for worn, damaged, or aftermarket consumables, the primary cause of misfiring., 4. Be sure incoming air pressure is above 90 psi (when air is flowing at the torch) and below 120 psi. Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”