45xp or 65 xp

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

45xp or 65 xp

Post by leggman »

I will be buying a hypertherm in the near future and I am torn between a 45xp and a 65 xp. I have a 4 x 4 plasma table that I built myself and right now I don't see myself cutting anything very heavy. I would like to do signs and similar projects.
I am NOT a rich man so the thousand dollar difference is substantial.
Just wanting opinions. Thanks
Dave
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 45xp or 65 xp

Post by acourtjester »

their wed site does not show a 65 XP I don't think they make one
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

I stand corrected. Looks like the 45xp might be the winner
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Was for me.. The 65 is a very nice machine.Had one, and now own a 45xp.. I have larger Victor, that will cover anything the 65 will do, but neither one will do what the 45XP can do with it's marking,low amp gouging.. Only downside is i keep looking for the on switch on the back of the machine.. 26 pound power supply is quite nice too..
Attachments
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0001.JPG (142.41 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Both systems use the same torch and consumable designs, so cut quality (at 45 amps or below) is identical.

The 65 will pierce and cut 5/8" all day long in a mechanized application and will edge start and cut 1-1/4" by hand. The 65 can operate on any input line voltage between 200 volts and 600 volts, single or 3 phase.

The 45 XP has newer technology that allows amperage settings as low as 10 amps, and has a set of marking consumables that are designed to be used as low as 10 amps....with either air or argon. It can pierce and cut 1/2" all day in a mechanized application and can edge start and sever to 1" with ease. It is smaller and lighter than the 65.The 45 XP is single phase only with input voltage between 200 volts and 240 volts.

Hope this helps!
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The 45XP also has low amp precision gouging available , but the 65 supports the flushcut consumables. two more difference's
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

85. go big or go home.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

You really should put three phase in the shop, and go for a water-cooled setup. Then you will gain cut quality on .500 and above. Otherwise you are still playing with toys..The 45XP is newer tech,does thing the larger machines are not capable of. Save the $2000.00 and by a machine O/2 torch if you want to really go big..
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Brand X, The Flushcut consumables are recommended for the Powermax105 and 125 systems only. They will have issues with arc starting and arc transfer on the 85 and 65 amp systems. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Brand X wrote:The 45XP also has low amp precision gouging available , but the 65 supports the flushcut consumables. two more difference's
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I was going by this info from Youtube..

https://youtu.be/Bu0x2SvbLRA?t=11m16s
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Brandx, This video was made by a couple of the product managers before the Flushcut was released for sale. Ultimately engineering decided against the use on the 85 amp and smaller systems for the reasons I mentioned. It is virtually impossible to correct a YouTube video.....so there is a little confusion out there. I suspect that we will eventually develop Fluschut parts for the lower amp systems, however we do not recommend their use at this time. Sorry about that! Jim Colt
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I figured the 45XP was out of the picture anyway, so no real loss to me.. I have the 15 degree torch, and the HYAcess consumables for it. Just tried it out today.. I also have the gouging nozzle too But did not get that far testing it.. Looks like I can get under a .250 pretty easy, and 3/16 should be in reach pretty easy..That's without damage to the other side of a plate when cutting a lug..You can get closer, but this is a straight on cut. It's a real good work around for the 45 to 85 amp machines.. Good stuff!
Attachments
PICT0011.JPG
PICT0011.JPG (159.86 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

I did finally purchase the 45xp and I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of the machine.
I still have some issues involving the interface cable and my (lack of) understanding about the voltage drop and if I need a voltage drop cable or not.
I am new to cnc and plasma tables and I fabricated my own unit so evidently I still have a lot to learn.
Can anyone suggest which cable I need to get? Thanks
Dave
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

To use a Powermax45 XP with a machine torch on a cnc machine you need to have the CPC interface port (a 14 pin circular connector located on the rear panel). If you bought a standard Powermax45 XP with a hand torch....you will not have the CPC port as it serves no function for cutting with a hand torch with a trigger switch. You can upgrade and 45 XP to the CPC port by installing kit number 428653 (Hypertherm part number).
This upgrade provides 3 signals commonly used on CNC machines for machine torch cutting: Start signal (contact closure from CNC control to start the torch), Arc Transfer signal (contact closure output from plasma indicating that the plasma arc has transferred to the worpiece), and divided arc voltage (5 different analog DC output voltage ratios that are used as arc voltage feedback for height control systems).

If you have specific questions about these interface signals feel free to ask! Jim Colt Hypertherm
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

Jim,
When I purchased the 45xp last week I ordered a machine torch so it DID come with the round port on the back. I still need to get the connector and cable to hook it up. Does Hypertherm sell this directly or do I have to go through a dealer?
This whole process has been very rewarding and at the same time very frustrating. I designed and built my own table and it works great but I lack the knowledge to hook it up and make my own G codes.
Any information you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.
PLEASE tell the fine workers at Hypertherm that I for one am VERY impressed with the quality of their product.
Thank you very much
David Legg
Trapp, Kentucky
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The interface cable is part number 228350 (25' length) , which can be purchased through any Hypertherm distributor.

As far as connections to your table.....you should refer to the supplier of the electronics (breakout board or cnc interface) that you used for connections. Gcode is generated with the right CAM software, insert a CAD drawing .dxf file to a software (like SheetCam) and the software develops the GCode. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Here is one difference between the 45XP, and 65 machines.. Cutting 3/4 by hand with the 45xp, the fan came on and ran quite a while.. Not that long of cut either.. The 65 would of never turned the fan on unless pushing it for a much longer time.. The air was pretty warm coming out of the 45XP too. Long arc will push the thing, but not worried about it for what I do.. I kind of like to know the fan works well..It was pulling about 32 amps out of the wall cutting the 3/4 ms.. No duty-cycle issues for the input line.. The power supply is excellent on power input use..
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

I really doubt I will be cutting any 3/4" material. I am thinking 3/8 at the max.
Thanks Jim for the info.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

BrandX, The Fan will come on on a 45 XP (and a 65, 85, 105 and 125) when setting in the shop idling! The control is through the onboard microprocessor that uses ambient temperature and time to calculate fan usage, not simply overheating components. Fan operation is no indication of how close to duty cycle these systems are. I cut over 300 slots in a 5/8" plate with the old Powermax45 (lower duty cycle than the 45 XP) on a 98 degree day a few years ago.....no issue whatsoever with duty cycle.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Brand X wrote:Here is one difference between the 45XP, and 65 machines.. Cutting 3/4 by hand with the 45xp, the fan came on and ran quite a while.. Not that long of cut either.. The 65 would of never turned the fan on unless pushing it for a much longer time.. The air was pretty warm coming out of the 45XP too. Long arc will push the thing, but not worried about it for what I do.. I kind of like to know the fan works well..It was pulling about 32 amps out of the wall cutting the 3/4 ms.. No duty-cycle issues for the input line.. The power supply is excellent on power input use..
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I was not worried about the duty-cycle, but was supersized just how warm the air was blowing out of the machine..I was cutting with my A-60 comparing the two.(Similar duty-cyle to the 65 I had) cool air coming out of it on the same cuts. I know heat when I feel it , and had probably had about 100 + inverter machines over the years. All different fan styles, I can pretty much tell you the 65 would not of ran the fan on that cut.. I am glad the fan came on, and now know it works.. I would say the 52 i had would of heated up about the same on that cut.. Just from feeling the air, and not even close to hitting the duty-cycle.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The clean side / dirty side cooling in the Powermax units concentrates all of the heat producing components on an aluminum heat sink in the dirty side of the power supply. Because it is concentrated and efficient at removing heat it will feel pretty hot. Some of our other designs move more air (bigger fan) and the air feels cooler because there is more of it. All of the newer inverter power supplies are pretty high in efficiency.....and if cutting at 6 kW they will all produce very close to the same power supply heat (a little over 6kW). A large electric stove burner is around 3kW....think of the heat from that! Jim
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Makes sense, and like I said before, I was not worried about the duty-cycle of the machine. I personally like to know the fan works. The older Miller passport had a fan that would cycle on and off quite a bit when using on 120 volt input.. Kind of nice to just to work the machine to the fan cycle.. The little INE 33 plasma was variable speed, and you could do the same...Thermal-arc Sanrex has a two speed fan, even in the little Pee-Wee 85s from the early 2000's Works perfect being 17 years old..

The 45XP is super efficient,and very impressive cutting .750 at a good clip for a 45 amp machine..Drawing 32 amps on a 240 volt line..About as good as it gets. Remember I had a A-120 running on the same line ,and seen 126 amps draw cutting some thicker stuff yet...

I just wish i could figure out a way to put a much smaller torch torch on the thing like I can with the Victor machine.. I love the size of the SL-40 torch, and exposed straight nozzle for autobody/template following.. Right now i just use my 18 year old 38XL for that.. Which weighs probably 20 more pounds then the new 45XP.. :lol:
Wallace33
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Wallace33 »

Hello

I think I stand corrected. Looks like the 45xp might be the winner
James

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”