air dryer a redesign of anothers idea

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

air dryer a redesign of anothers idea

Post by fitzy »

I just finished my version of a homemade air dryer I took 3/4 inch copper tube ran it back and forth reed it into two rows then brought it back to one out then straight up with a drain outside. I also had to learn how to sweat pipe. So it was a learning experience all the way around. Preliminary tests show no water but the true test is tomorrow. Hopefully this will help keep my motor guard dry. I'll also be posting some pics and thanks to all for the inspiring ideas here.
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: air dryer a redesign of anothers idea

Post by fitzy »

here is the pics off cell phone
Attachments
pic of air dryer
pic of air dryer
-fitzy-
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Lee »

Good job, let us know how it works, what I like is you still have room for the beer's. :lol: dual purpose fridge.
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

In our weld shop, we installed a supplied air breathing system that pulls fresh air from the lunch/tool room to the weld heads. The blower is rheostat controlled for the amount of air needed to purge the weld hoods (three or four at a time), the problem was during the summer the air was heated about 10 degrees over ambient, so I ran system like yours through the vegetable crisper and filled it with water, it dropped a good 15 degrees. To make it even nicer, I bought a bunch of those blue ice packs and freeze over night and rotate during the day. The big draw back is you get to smell whatever other guys are eating for lunch, Der wienerschniztel chilli-cheese dogs are the worst. Smells like someone exploded.

WSS
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

:lol: I can definantly see how that could be a prob especially if saur kraught is involved.
Had a good chance today to test it out ran for about 1.5 hours intermitent and zero water in the lines I think this will work great. My cut quality has improved 10 fold and a whole lot less dross to deal with. I'll keep updating when I get the chance to cut longer and harder but so far I'm very pleased. :D
-fitzy-
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

What Plasma generator are you using? Amazing how dry are can improve a cut. We use a harbor freight unit that I got used off of craigslist. It works hard and keeps the lines dry. Once in awhile I have to shut down the pressure to activate the "auto-drain" valve, it only opens when no pressure is on it. Let me tell you, it flows some water! Your unit should work just like the stand alone units. I have heard that routing your lines up high helps too.

Cool idea!

WSS
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Can you run the copper coil thru the freezer part instead of the fridge part and get the same results? I am sure some one has allready tried it, if not I may be the first
Mike
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

fitzy wrote:here is the pics off cell phone
I like the desigh plenty of room left for BEER :lol:
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

I'm sure you could run it through the freezer the volume of cooled air is why I went through the fridge and Yes the fridsge is now fully stocked with sodas and waters (just my drinks of choice but to each there own :D ). I ran it pretty hard yesterday and it still is working great I'll try and post pics of some before aqnd after shots I'm also running a td82 on a tm3 5x10 table
-fitzy-
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by elkriverfab »

I ended up doing the same thing (running through the freezer).

I also cut holes and ran the tubing down to the fridge area too.

I just used that spray on foam crack filler to insulate the areas around the copper tubes where the go into the fridge.

Luckily I was able to cut holes in the bottom of the freezer without damaging any of those little veins carrying coolant......

Unlike my wife that decided to defrost the house fridge/freezer with a sharp knife :evil:

I told her to "just let it thaw", I came home to find it hacked and guess what?????????? No more cold fridge.

This was just after our main fridge went out. So.........Two in one week!
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

ohhhhhhhhhh........if we told you once Shawn we told you twice..............don't let the wives play with sharp objects........... :lol: for all of our safety..........
Brian

PS: SORRY APRIL :? :cry: :roll:

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”