Torch height is off.. how to fix it?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Torch height is off.. how to fix it?

Post by Pat4rd »

I've really been burning through some hypertherm consumables, went to check my torch height and it appears to be pretty high. I did this by turning the torch off, running a simple line file and sticking a .06" shim under it. There was a big gap between the torch and the shim. I went back to sheet cam, plugged in .008 and now I can fit my shim under it with no gap. What's the best way to correct this? I've got a proma thc 150, Mach 3, 45xp with a machine torch. I would rather fix this the right way instead of putting .008 in the computer.. Thanks for any help!
Attachments
IMG_3290.JPG
Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch height is off.. how to fix it?

Post by acourtjester »

Cleaning the nozzle first, are you using a floating head switch or a ohmic sensor to set Z zero for your pierce height?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Have you calibrated your z-axis steps? Pick a stationary point on the z-axis and a moveable point and measure between with calipers. Manually move the z-axis a known amount and re measure to verify it moved the distance you told it to move. If it is off, use the MACH procedure for calibrating steps per unit measurement.

If your steps are correct, then it has to be your switch offset that is wrong.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The THC has no idea where the Z DRO is nor does it care. It simply moves to make the arc volts correct. Assuming the THC is working it moves the Z to whatever height it takes to maintain the Arc Volts during the cut. In the conventional parallel port setup MACH takes the UP and DOWN is as a Z jog and simple moves the motor the distance to hold the volts and tracks how far that is. In short Height = Arc volts (all other things set according to the chart). The touch off needs to be accurate to get a correct pierce. Too low and you get blow back. Too high and you get upper slag or a bad pierce.

The PROMO is a very basic UP- Down sending unit and there is no communication between the THC and MACH or vice versa..

You Z can be out of calibration and the DRO will read different from the actual height but the actual gap is wat counts
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pat4rd »

Thank you all! I will check that.. I'm just learning all of this new stuff.
Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.
bloftin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bloftin »

This post was very beneficial to me thanks all that have contributed to it

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”