DROSS. SHEET PRE-TREATMENT AND POST CLEANUP.

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
SHAWNELIASON
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

DROSS. SHEET PRE-TREATMENT AND POST CLEANUP.

Post by SHAWNELIASON »

I know its been discussed before, but .....

Does anyone pre-treat thier sheet with anything to keep dross from sticking?
Also, dross removal and clean-up. what methods do you use?

I have my cut height and amps correct for my tools but I'm wanting to use something before and after cutting to keep my from using a cup wheel and flap disc. large shapes are good.. but letters and small holes have hard to scrape dross. And mechanical dross removal bends small parts if you get too aggressive.

Im open to acids, ph pool solutions etc.

Ive used phosphoric acid to pre-treat before and it has varied success depending on materials, cut speed, and amperages.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DROSS. SHEET PRE-TREATMENT AND POST CLEANUP.

Post by jimcolt »

Best bet is to cut with virtually no dross. Depending on what cnc machine, height control and plasma...you may or may not be able to do this.

Jim Colt
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I can cut very dross free on aluminum. I can't get steel right at all lol
I've tried some mig spatter spray on the back side, honestly can't tell if it helps any. The best thing I ever did was switch over to pickled & oiled steel over hot rolled. Dross seems to want to stick less and falls off easier
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
SHAWNELIASON
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SHAWNELIASON »

jimcolt wrote:Best bet is to cut with virtually no dross. Depending on what cnc machine, height control and plasma...you may or may not be able to do this.

Jim Colt
Thanks Jim
im using a PM65 with fine cuts 220ipm 45 amps. Holes rule in Sheetcam to 60% speed. .06 cut height on 16ga mild cold roll.
Ive reduced amps and ipm in the past with ok results but got warping.

Ill keep tinkerin with it .
SHAWNELIASON
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SHAWNELIASON »

gamble wrote:I can cut very dross free on aluminum. I can't get steel right at all lol
I've tried some mig spatter spray on the back side, honestly can't tell if it helps any. The best thing I ever did was switch over to pickled & oiled steel over hot rolled. Dross seems to want to stick less and falls off easier
I asked for pickled last trip to the yard. no-carry.. thats sss steel in houston. My buddy told me the same about pickled.

Im thinking acid treatment and tool adjustments will get me closer at the least.

Aluminum is dross free on mine. But man the white fuzzy crap in my water is wierd!
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Check out this link, I have found that Kiln Wash works especially well on thin material because you can avoid any aggressive rotary de-drossing.

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 270#p54269
Craig Johnson

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”