How do you attach individually cut letters?

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

How do you attach individually cut letters?

Post by motoguy »

Just finished up this sign for a family member. He's actually giving it as a gift. It's one of the first things I've done with individual positive-space letters. I attached them using VHB, and it took FOREVER to do. I put VHB on the back of the letters, and cut out a paper "template" on my vinyl cutter for letter placement. The whole process took far longer than I expected.

What is your trick to quickly attach (and properly align) individual, positive space/layered letters? I love the look, but I need to find a more efficient method to be cost effective.
20170612_170009_1497306691452_resized.jpg
20170612_170423_1497306693641_resized.jpg
20170612_172856_1497306700848_resized.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: How do you attach individually cut letters?

Post by littlefatbuddy »

Lay the letters on the sign and place them where you want them or measure out where you want them. Then lay out some guidelines with tape. In my opinion, you only need a fraction of that much tape. With the T, for example, I would have put a small piece on the top and a small piece on the bottom just to make sure it stayed straight. The O and U would have probably got a small piece on each side and one on top, similar to the small piece on the R. I personally don't let it go all the way to the edge just because I think it looks better. I try to place the tape so it maintains an even height off the base piece. Also, I usually run my razor knife down the center of the roll to make the more narrow pieces and then pull the tape off the roll.
hemichargersrt8
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by hemichargersrt8 »

When designing a sign with positive letters, I create and cut basically a template with the letters properly positioned and then use the skeleton to position the individual letters. Sometimes it is necessary to hand trim some of the skeleton letter profiles to make letter positioning easier.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Great idea and yet so simple. Thanks Hemi.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”