Hydraulic Forge Press Project

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Hydraulic Forge Press Project

Post by Oldsarge »

Thought I'd stop by and share a project I'm working on.

I've been working on some Blacksmithing skills, and decided to add this to the lineup. 28 tons of squish power! I've been cutting a lot of thicker stock on this project, and the PM85 is handling 3/4" and 1" probably better in some cases than thinner stuff!

I always suspected I had questionable power at the leased space. Since setting up in the home garage space the PM85 has been very stable and cuts very well. After I finish this project in the next few weeks I'll be jumping back into the power hammer project... Lots of cutting on heavier plate on that project as well, I'll post pics if anybody is interested.

The last picture is for all you woodworkers out there. Scored this HEAVY tipping table that was part of the SystiMatic sawblade company. They are out of business now, but before they sold to a company in India they made high quality saw blades, and as a matter of fact started out as a maching tool company who used to buy saw blades from a 3rd party and one day realized they could make a better blade, so they did!

The table is 1.5" thick, 24" diameter blanshard ground & rotates. They would lay a blank on the table and braze the carbide tips on or do whatever repairs were needed before resharpening. I've had a few of their old blades over the years, and they were a quality blade before the quality went down & they eventually folded.

On to the pics!
Most of the heavy fabrication finished.
Most of the heavy fabrication finished.
Cutting 3/4" plate
Cutting 3/4" plate
Upper hydraulic cylinder mount cut from 1/2"
Upper hydraulic cylinder mount cut from 1/2"
Lower hammer head guides with UHMW inserts
Lower hammer head guides with UHMW inserts
SystiMatic sawblade tipping workstation. Page out of history!
SystiMatic sawblade tipping workstation. Page out of history!
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Hydraulic Forge Press Project

Post by SeanP »

Some nice cuts there oldsarge, that will be a handy press I bet, please would you give us a youtube demo once you get up & running, miss your videos!
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Some of the smoothest looing cuts on 3/4 I've ever seen. Awesome looking press. Like Seanp said would love to see a video of it working. Keep up the good work.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Nice work Sarge. Glad to see you posting your projects here again! Wealth of Information!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun building this so far! I shot a progress video the other night if anybody wants to check it out:

https://youtu.be/sVo9ZWjhJBY

Hoping to cut the mounting plate for the motor/pump by the weekend, and then it's off to the hydraulic shop for hoses etc. Going to run an electrically actuated spool valve, haven't seen that done by anybody on a press build yet!

When it's finished and I take to squishing hot steel I'll post a video!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Thanks Sarge for sharing the video. I've enjoyed all of your builds going back a few years now.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Thanks for that Mike, I see perfectly now how it works, great explanation! Looking good.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
sr guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by sr guy »

Good job on the build. Have you thought of turning that cylinder with the seal facing down so that you wont be getting crude or hot slag on you seal? Or is your base provide plenty of protection/coverage. You could do a leather boot around it.
LDR 4x8 w scribe :D
Miller syncrowave 250
Hobart ironman 230
Baliegh tn 250
Bantam 12 ton 48"
JD2 model 32
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Thanks, I did think about it but there's a lot of these presses in service with the cylinder set up like this with no problem... There are other features getting built in that are going to protect the ram as well. The bottom die plate has a 1.5" through hole drilled in it so that when I'm drifting or punching through a piece of work the drift or punch will fall into a "chute" and fall into a cooling tank... that chute will block some of the debris.... I'm also looking at old boot style shock covers or as you suggested a piece of leather or other type of wrap to cover the top of the cylinder.

I'm also thinking about a decorative plate that I'll mount in front of the cylinder assembly to protect against high pressure failure of hoses or "things" letting loose that aren't supposed to be letting loose!
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Great looking project, I wish I had one in my shop.
Craig Johnson

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”