Pm65 vs pm45xp

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Pm65 vs pm45xp

Post by SONIC »

I've got a pm65 and it's great, but I really want that marking capability of the 45xp.

I almost never cut over 45 amps but here's the kicker, the tables main job is cutting brackets from 4x8 sheet and it's about a 2 hour job each time. Say 5 or 6 times a week.

I worry about duty cycle on the 45 running at full power for 2 hours or so. There is time between pierces but not a lot.
Anyone have one that can comment on this?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Pm65 vs pm45xp

Post by SeanP »

I doubt you will have anything to worry about with the duty cycle, I'm using the older 45 and I can cut 12mm base plates all day, in 3yrs I have yet to see it cut out due to over working, plenty operator failures though! can't see the newer XP wont be any worse on duty cycle.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

Cool thanks for the info!
Does anyone know if the 45xp is compatible with my current duramax machine torch?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

You will certainly miss the 65 amp consumables if you get above .500. To me the 45 Xp screams portable,Marking with one has limited value for me, because I can layout excellent lines with my scribe setup.. Very few people really takes the time to setup a scribe correctly, so they think Plasma marking is going to be the cat's meow.. I think we need some close up of what you get with the marking, before you ditch the 65..(IMO) Only thing we have seen here is a long distance view of a signature, and really nothing of out of the ordinary at that..

Your torch will work just fine..
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

Here's hypertherms page on the marking stuff.
https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/learn/ ... l-marking/

Granted that's from hypertherm and I don't know how large the marks are.

I do have a scribe, just havent installed it yet and they are so loud and annoying I'm wondering if i'd rather do the 45xp instead?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Like I said setup is the key. Mine is not any louder then a plasma cutter, and torch running.. Setting a scribe with air down-force is hit, and miss.Mostly misses the mark... :)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I'm with Brand X the scribe is much cleaner that video make me think that is much more clean up using plasma for marking.
CNC plate marker (12) A.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

Okay so what are you using instead of the air down feed on the scribe?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Air down feed if fine, and what is used.It's using air pressure to set the down force. That is why I favor a floating head setup.. No more slamming the stylus into the work, and spending half you life figuring out all the parameters, that are always changing with so many slide setups.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

BrandX....there are marking sample pics on the Hypertherm website.

Jim Colt
Brand X wrote:You will certainly miss the 65 amp consumables if you get above .500. To me the 45 Xp screams portable,Marking with one has limited value for me, because I can layout excellent lines with my scribe setup.. Very few people really takes the time to setup a scribe correctly, so they think Plasma marking is going to be the cat's meow.. I think we need some close up of what you get with the marking, before you ditch the 65..(IMO) Only thing we have seen here is a long distance view of a signature, and really nothing of out of the ordinary at that..

Your torch will work just fine..
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Duty cycle for the Powermax45 XP is based on running on a 104 degree day and running at full 45 amps on the material that the unit is rated for production thickness (5/8" for thePowermax45 XP). So, with cooler ambient temperatures you will have higher duty cycle, and when cutting anything thinner than 5/8" steel you will have higher duty cycle. On an average daytime temp of 70 degrees and cutting materials thinner than about 3/8"....the duty cycle of a Powermax45 XP will likely be 100%.

On marking with the plasma. Using argon on steel will make very nice quality marks....not as good as an air scribe, but much faster, no x and y offset to deal with, and definitely quieter. It is really not the best if you want high quality alpha-numeric marking with letters smaller than about 1/2" tall. You can control the depth very well (amperage, speed, gas selection) which is good for layout marks that need to be hidden with a coat of paint after final assembly. On high end industrial machines plasma marking pretty much eliminated air scribe markers and zinc powder markers about 15 years ago when first introduced on Hypertherms high definition systems. I see perfect use for a lot of metal art pieces that would look better with etched lines instead of through cuts for definition in the art.

If anyone has something specific in mind....share it with me and I'll cut and mark and post a video of the process.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

SONIC wrote:I've got a pm65 and it's great, but I really want that marking capability of the 45xp.

I almost never cut over 45 amps but here's the kicker, the tables main job is cutting brackets from 4x8 sheet and it's about a 2 hour job each time. Say 5 or 6 times a week.

I worry about duty cycle on the 45 running at full power for 2 hours or so. There is time between pierces but not a lot.
Anyone have one that can comment on this?
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

Okay so I bit the bullet and ordered the 45xp.
I'll post up once I get it figured out.
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

Figured I'd follow this up.
I sold the 65 and bought the 45xp, finally got it running after multiple failures of the CandCNC control parts.
The 45 cuts just like the 64 at 45 amps so no difference there.
The marking works pretty well.

There is always a divot where you start, (at least using mach3) because the motion start is not instant.
Anything over 1/2" works fine, below that things start getting a little wonky because the cut itself is .11" wide. (per the manual)
The one Issue I have run into is that it REALLY heats up the metal and warps even 3/16" badly. I'm currently fighting this one and hopefully will come up with a solution, but as it stands it's pretty useless seeing as you have to change consumables to use it, and if you run a whole sheet worth of marks the sheet looks like it was hit by a truck.

So all in all, yes it does mark, and yes they do look nice, but until I can deal with the warpage it really does me no good.

I'm going to try cutting with the sheet partially or fully submerged and see if that helps.
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

These letters are 1/2" tall.
IMG_20170104_163207203-1336x752.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

acourtjester wrote:I'm with Brand X the scribe is much cleaner that video make me think that is much more clean up using plasma for marking.
This is correct, there is dross on the marking. But it comes off easily enough, no worse than the slag on the underside that we all deal with. I imagine it would come off from soaking in acid for a while, although i just use a knotted wire wheel and a tumbler.
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by SONIC »

And an update,
after cutting completely underwater....still terrible warpage.
IMO this was a complete wast of money and time.

Will be going back to the plate marker.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”