File empty when I open .dxf file in inkscape

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
karensmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

File empty when I open .dxf file in inkscape

Post by karensmc »

What am I doing wrong? I have dxf files that I got from when I signed up on plasmaspider..when I try to open them in inkscape, the file is blank. This seems to happen 99% of the time when I open a .dxf file. I'm a total novice..please help.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: File empty when I open .dxf file in inkscape

Post by Gamelord »

Are you opening it or importing it?
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
karensmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by karensmc »

I am "opening" it. I also tried downloading the flag in the shape of the United State with the "stripe lines" and it did the same thing..but the original dxf file with no lines opened just fine. NONE of the .dxf files that I chose when I joined appear in inkscape when I open it..the page is blank. What am I missing?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have found the same thing but the work around is to open it in other software and then save it as a DXF with a number so is just does not save it to the same name. I use QCAD (free) and other work too. It seems what ever software the OP saved it in will not open in Inkscape, some software don't play nice with others but you can work around that. I use Irfan View be sure to download the DXF reader for it, it give you a quick way to see if you can open the file or not as soon as you download it. Just click on the file where it is saved and it will open a separate image on your screen to view it, if you see a blank screen then you know you will need to monkey with it so you can open it later.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
radicalrescue
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by radicalrescue »

i hAD THE SAME THING SOME TIME THE FILES ARE OUT SIDE OF THE WORKING AREA TRY ZOOMING OUT A LOT U MIGHT FIND IT WAY OUT IN SPACE AN IF ITS IN METRIC AN U WORK IN INCHES
karensmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by karensmc »

acourtjester...thank you-thank-you-thank-you!!!! I downloaded the qcad program...opened the dxf file and saved as a new name..and now it opens in my inkscape...AWESOME!!!!!!!

Return to “Inkscape”