Help...need a finer detail plasma.

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
martinmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help...need a finer detail plasma.

Post by martinmetal »

I am running a Hypertherm Powermax 85 with machine torch on my cnc table. The guy down the street is kicking my tail with extremely detailed and wirelike cuts. I just can't get that degree of precision when the smallest orifice consumable available is a 45 amp fine cut. I'm looking for advice on which machine I can purchase that can be connected to my table control, has a machine torch, and has consumable fine enough to such detail.
Any advice is welcome.
Thank you,
Travis
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help...need a finer detail plasma.

Post by mdwalker »

Purchase one like he has........
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
martinmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by martinmetal »

Haven't been able to find out what he has.
Does anyone know of a machine with a machine torch and can hook up to my system that can run at low amperage with smaller orifice consumables than the 45 amp fine cut consumables from Hypertherm?
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Have you tried running at lower amperage with the fine cuts? I haven't yet, but I know some guys run down to 25a with the fine cuts, for very thin kerf. I don't know what their other settings (voltage, ipm, etc) are, though.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
martinmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by martinmetal »

I'm currently experimenting with all different settings now. I'll let you know what I figure out.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

What material thickness and type, and can you give us an idea of the detail you need? A picture with dimensions, or even a .dxf file would be great. It will be difficult to find a plasma that will have a narrower kerf than your Powermax with Finecuts. Keep in mind that good detail on cutting is a combined effort of motion control, acceleration, cut speeds and height control. The plasma is only one part of the equation.

Some pics of the cuts you are getting.....with your thoughts on the areas that need improvement will help us help you as well. Info regarding your machine, software, height control, etc. will help.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Sometimes you can cheat very thin material by using a water table to control the burn-off of very thin edges.. It just one more tool to use..I agree, it will be quite hard to get much thinner Kerf in Air Plasma then with the powermax systems. You could match it, but highly unlikely to get any better over setting up things correctly. My Esab with 20 amp tips was pretty good, along with my finecuts on my Powermax.. Leaves you Victor, and with work, you can get good detail.. Don't really have too many more good options in Air plasma.. Maybe drag by hand with a low amp plasma cutter..
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The guy down the street may not be using plasma. Really fine lines could be water jet or even laser cut. There is a finite kerf width when you are cutting with a 30,000 deg arc and blowing it out with shop air.
NFRSteel
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by NFRSteel »

Following. I use a hypotherm too. Concerned about detail.
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

Yeah, my bet would be on a laser. I think I read that the new fiber lasers have a .004" kerf width.

But yes finecut consumables and I run 30-35 amps when cutting 20-22ga.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”