PM65 Shield Clearance

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

PM65 Shield Clearance

Post by rwskinner »

I'm having to cut some features out in a 14ga sheet metal part. The main feature is a 10" hole. The problem is, 90% of the sheet is flat then there is a 45 degree down hill bend in it all the way across. Think of "R" Panel used on metal buildings... This means on part of the hole the torch has to follow the bend down then on the other side follow the bend up.

What happens of course, is the DTHC wants to follow the metal but the angle is steep enough the outside of the machine torch shield hits the part dislodging the torch. I'm using 45 amp finecut nozzles and shield cap.

How can I prevent this? It looks like 45 amp shield cap has a more conical shape. Maybe between that and raising cut height *might* work.

I thought about slowing the DTHC down, that might work going down hill but will be a problem going back up the incline.

Ideas?
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PM65 Shield Clearance

Post by sphurley »

There is the HyAccess line of consumables. Only seen them used never used them.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Use the 220955 defelector instead of the 220948 shield.....this will provide more clearance, but you will not be able to use Ohmic surface sensing.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

I did see the HyAccess but no dimensions except for length, and the length may be too long.
Jim, on the 220955, does the nozzle protrude past the deflector? It appears that it would.
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

I had that 22095 deflector in my consumable kit and it looks like it will do the trick. Can I still use the fine cut nozzle of do I need to use the standard 45 amp nozzle with that deflector?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you open to the fine cut cut charts in your manual....you will see the illustration of the Fine cut consumables and their associated part numbers. These parts are designed to work together.....the deflector and the shields are both compatible...or they would not be shown together. The shield works best in regards to consumable life and the ability to use the ohmic sensing function, the deflector is for situations such as yours. Jim Colt Hypertherm
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

Thanks Jim. Sorry, I just wasn't anywhere around my Hypertherm manual when I asked the question. Thanks for recommendation.
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

The 220955 Deflector allowed clearance between the deflector and the work but the rounded nozzle on the finecut caused interference. I took a standard 45 amp tip and did some minor custom machine work to it. I wouldn't expect it to give me the same life but to be able to make a few of these cuts it should be fine. I believe between that and increasing my cut height I will be able to cut that feature. I ran out of time today to try it but will in the next few days.

I should be able to do some math and figure out what cut height I need for the clearance on that slope. I thought it was a 45 degree angle but I measured it as a 30 degree angle and it has a 10" circle going thru part of it.
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

That did the trick. The custom 45 amp nozzle and running 0.075" cut height and the DTHCIV in Fast Mode allowed me to cut the roller coaster at 150 IPM. I did some 3" Diameter holes that straddled that 30 Deg Feature so things happen much faster on the 3" hole than a 10" hole so its a good test.

I had some bottom dross of course but running at 220 IPM would cause occasional collisions. I'm going to play with some fine tuning here and there and see how fast and good I can get it. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”