Needing assistance, Thermal Dynamics Arcing from electrode to tip

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
LemcoIronWorks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Needing assistance, Thermal Dynamics Arcing from electrode to tip

Post by LemcoIronWorks »

I have a Thermal Dynamics 100 with machine torch hooked up to a Dynatorch 4x8 Super-B

I am having issues with arcing between the side of the electrode to the inside of the tip (also a bit inside the start cartridge).
Will not do it every cut, it appears to happen randomly but when it does I get a somewhat loud "crackling" sound and a VERY nasty jagged cut..
(I have included pics of the arcing)
40 amp consumables, 14ga CR, 110 Inches/min

Air is clean and dry ($600 4 stage desiccant drier that is maintained)
PSI bumped to 90 (was thinking start cartridge may be chattering nit the case)
NEW start cartridge (thermal Dynamics brand)
New shield cup (thermal Dynamics brand)
New electrode (aftermarket)
New tip (aftermarket)
Attachments
image3.JPG
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (26.97 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
image1.JPG
LemcoIronWorks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Needing assistance, Thermal Dynamics Arcing from electrode to tip

Post by LemcoIronWorks »

Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Cutmaster 100 is a high freq start machine. Maybe you need to find the bushing that holds the start cartridge in the fire postilion. They have one for when using the one torch on high freq machines.. Some need it, and others do not.. Unless your machine is a cutmaster 101, then it's High freq start..Aftermarket electrodes/tips are generally a bad idea with the one torch.. (IMO) Looks like a copy of the 9-8232 electrode? Has a relief cut right where it's shorting out.(sort of guessing on that one from the pics) Try a real 9-8215 electrode, before you do anything else. Tip too..
LemcoIronWorks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by LemcoIronWorks »

Not sure what you are referring to for the "bushing". Start cartridge is OEM and new, I fired it only once and that is what is pictured above.

OEM tips and electrodes arrived today, hoping that does the trick.
Just puzzled that it has been fine with the aftermarket consumables for a year and a half..

I am betting there is a manufacturing problem (tolerance issue) with this batch of aftermarket components.
Wont know till tomorrow if that did the trick or not.
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

The first idea I thought of was the possibility of water in the air line. Good observation of Brandx noticing the under cut on the electrode. I also have a high freq start TD machine. My experience with after market consumables hasn't been bad. After the experience of having genuine electrode and only the third or fourth one in a lot working good I tried some aftermarket. So far every one of them has worked great first time and every time. They have a shorter life than the genuine(when working ok) but for half the price I can live with that.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

There is a bushing made for the the Start Cartridge that hold it into the fire position for High freq machines..It will not come with the start Cartridge. Since you have a later model torch on your older machine, it could help with that issue. Like I said before, not all machines need them, but it sure could not hurt yours..
LemcoIronWorks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by LemcoIronWorks »

Brand X
OEM consumables took care of the problem, I am pretty sure the cause is that undercut.
From what I have read its the Air pressure that keeps the start cartridge "engaged" while cutting, that undercut may not be allowing the air to keep it engaged. I actually forgot how much quieter the torch is with the thermal dynamics consumables and a much cleaner edge.

SRP
I have been using the same aftermarket brand for about a year and a half with no issues (other than shorter life). I think this last group of electrodes I purchased are out of tolerance or shouldn't have that undercut at all. unfortunately I don't have any old electrodes to see if the undercut is new or not.

Thanks for the feedback, it was indeed helpful!

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”