Fire Ring/Fire bowl

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
dxfgirl
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Fire Ring/Fire bowl

Post by dxfgirl »

My son is a hunter. I am pretty sure I grabbed this lab DXF off here sometime last year. I cut the ring out of 1/8th inch and had it rolled to fit the bowl (end of LP tank). Pretty pleases so far. My husband is going to have to teach me to cut the legs. We made a stand to bolt the tank end on while I used the hand plasma to level it up before adding ring. I will post a finished pic soon. I need to move lab and cat tails up about an inch. I cut a 3/4 in strap to wrap around where ring meets bowl.

tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fire Ring/Fire bowl

Post by tnbndr »

Nice!
Where did you source the LP tank end?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
dxfgirl
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dxfgirl »

Farmers use LP tanks for culverts in our area. I found a guy who had 20+ ends laying outside. I swiped them up! My plan is to weld two together and hand cut a design on the sphere.
dxfgirl
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dxfgirl »

Finished- I added the kids initials in the bowl for air vents. I think I am ready to try and hand cut one.
Attachments
fire pit.docx
(287.07 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

Very nice, I used both ends from an lp tank to make a sphere and hand cut one a couple years ago. The hardest part was getting everything drawn onto the sphere prior to cutting. The cutting itself was just tedious. And I went with a fairly simple design of 3 large oak trees with the canopy of each meeting up at the top of the sphere.
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

A few pics.
Attachments
20160727_163810.jpg
20151011_194616.jpg
20151003_171911.jpg
dxfgirl
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dxfgirl »

That is amazing! I love it
dxfgirl
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dxfgirl »

I cant even tell where it was welded together- your ends are very smooth cut. We made a stand to set bowl on to clean up edges- the farmers weren't too particular. How did you get such a clean cut? They meet up perfectly. - insert project drool lol
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

I was lucky enough that the LP tank i cut open had a backing strip inside of it (not sure if this is standard or not) I used the backing strip as a straight edge to rest my plasma cutter against :D . It did make each half slightly smaller than a true hemisphere so the resulting ball is ever so slightly egg shaped but not enough to tell a difference....tack weld the two pieces together until ready to cut (no use welding the seam I'm about to cut out). Since I had a straight center line I used it as reference to drop the "ground level" for the trees about 3" below the weld line.. I had a small scrap 3" wide I rest the soap stone on the bottom of the scrap and follow the center line around the ball with the top of the scrap giving me a line below and parallel to the center line. After it was on the base I tossed in a marble to find the low point and cut a hole for drainage. There are also holes in my base to let the water out.
dxfgirl
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dxfgirl »

Great Info Thanks!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”