First Cut

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

First Cut

Post by Dingo745 »

I only got my DIY table going in the last few days and this is my first successful test cut .
It's a basic 5'x5' with a Hypertherm Powermax 30, and a Neuron Simplicity THC
The part is about 8" x 6" cut from 1.6 mm steel sheet and turned out OK by my standards and will hopefully get better when
I get my head around all the settings and variables.
A big thank you to Andrew from Neuron for his online setup help on his great product the Neuron Simplicity
Anyhow you be the judge and jury.
https://youtu.be/Asl8gNdlUUg
GSD1.6mm.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: First Cut

Post by acourtjester »

Time for the Happy dance :lol:
You Saloon cut looks great too, learning becomes faster now that you see what happens with your adjustments to the operations.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dingo745 »

Thanks. I am learning slowly but there are so many variables and it's easy to get caught out and make a critical error especially when you have been doing it for about a week in total.
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dingo745 »

B&WSeaview - 2Copy.JPG
I did this one today even though the temperature out in my shed was 45 degrees C or 113 in F
I did a nameplate for my house and the GSD dog that I cut out earlier will be tacked on to the top of the nameplate and painted black.
I'm still making lots of mistakes but learning from them as well.

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

That looks nice but as a helpful hint I would use offsets with lead ins and lead outs with a little longer tails. It looks like you had sheetcam put the outside cut on the line and not starting with a lead in from outside and the others from inside of the line. This will help keep the starting dimple from showing.
sign.jpg

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dingo745 »

I'm still green as grass with SheetCam and I'm having a steep learning curve with SheetCam and the Neuron Simplicity THC
I have been plasma cutting for about a week and a half in total.

I tried to cut this out today and had a ton of problems trying to cut the border. It would start the cut then it would lose the ARC and chuck an error every attempt and I know it is a THC AVC setting but I couldn't work it out. Yet !!

And if you are wondering the Men's Shed is an Australia wide community based organization http://mensshed.org/
The Australian Men’s Shed Association is funded by the Federal Department of Health to provide practical support to Men’s Sheds and deliver a wide range of services. It aims to improve the health and well-being of members and reduce the number of men who are at risk from preventable health issues that may emanate from isolation.

Through collaboration and strategic partnerships with national, state, territory and health related community services such as beyondblue, Heart Foundation, Department of Veteran Affairs, Cancer Council, AMSA has developed a range of resources and delivered a variety of national initiatives such as ‘Spanner in the Works?, a men’s health project.

The national ‘Spanner in the Works?’, a Men’s Health screening programme has proven very successful in engaging men. This is promoted via the ‘Machine Man’, a visual interpretation of the relationship of Body to Vehicle. Combined with other activities of interest to men and in collaboration with local health services, the programme delivers health screening, improves health literacy and distributes health information.
YMS Fail.JPG

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You have not listed the equipment you are using, if you have a Hypertherm it shows an error code if it's to do with the plasma.
If the problem came near the end of cutting the plaque you may have moisture in your air supply.
Questions can be answered here if you supply enough information to help with trouble shooting the problems. You may have a few small bugs to work out you seem to be doing very well.
I don't know if you have been to this site but they have some very good videos.
https://arclightcnc.com/training/
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dingo745 »

One of the problems is probably moisture related. One day it is 110 degrees and the next day it's tropical humidity and I live close to the ocean and that is something that I have been looking at adding to the system.
The Hypertherm was sometimes throwing out the orange front panel light indicator light that says it might be bad consumable s but i only change out the electrode and
At the moment I only have a tiny little inline filter but not sure what is the best bang for buck. The two I was looking at are http://www.ebay.com/itm/142179005509?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT and the other was a http://www.ebay.com/itm/UniMig-AT1000-C ... 2179005509

I am using a Hypertherm Powermax 30, Neuron Simplicity THC,twin cylinder air compressor 10 cfm ?, feeding a 90 litre auxiliary storage tank with a small simple inline air /oil filter.
Table is a DIY 5'x5' Mach 3, Sheetcam ESS Smoothstepper.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The second filter you show is called a motor guard in the US and many on this site use it so you may get some feed back about it.
I like a Siliac gel moisture trap myself http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... gel#p80598
Maybe Jim Colt will comment on the yellow light on the Hypertherm
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”