Water Table Bladder Build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
ltbald1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Water Table Bladder Build

Post by ltbald1 »

Hello Guys,

I am new to the CNC Plasma Table realm. I bought a used table (Arclight 9600) and when talking with the previous owner about things he liked and disliked. His comments led me to look into a way to drain and refill the water table when using. I found this forum and I did not find that much on the subject, not a lot of pictures of guys builds or design. So, Thought I would post some pics of what I did and I would hope it will help the next guy design and build his bladder system. I used 2" PVC so very little friction and it fills and drains in about 3 minutes. I know online it says not to pressurize those blue plastic drums as they can explode at low PSI (17-35) depending on where you look. For what I have it only takes 2psi to move that water. I put on two types of pressure regulators on the air supply for added safety, a regular type pressure regulator and adjustable propane regulator. I was hoping to be able to adjust the propane regulator to stop filling when the table was full but there is such a small difference in the pressure it is not possible so I have to watch it when filling and stop before it overfills.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Arclight 9600
Inkscape/Sheetcam/Mach3
Powermax 85
Thermal Dynamics 35
Miller 185
SONIC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Water Table Bladder Build

Post by SONIC »

Very cool!
I've got a LDR table and what they did was build a tank on top of a tank with holes in the bottom one.
You add air to the bottom tank and it displaces the water to the top tray.
Clever design.

It's really convenient for cleaning the table and for adjusting water level for different metals.
I cut thin stuff with the water touching, sometimes underwater depending on the situation. It stops it from warping.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I did something similar, based on _Ogre's water bladder build. Fills my 6x12 table in about 7 minutes. Drained faster when new, than it does now. ;) I also used the blue plastic barrels. I put a baffle above the drain hole, so water doesn't come geyser-ing out when I apply air pressure. I find that 3psi is all I need to get plenty of pressure/7 minute fill time.

I ran into issues sealing the fittings to the blue plastic barrels, I didn't realize those threads are not pipe threads, which are self sealing. I had to buy a bunch of rubber rings (rings for the fill valve at the top of a toilet tank) to serve as a gasket. Once installing those, the tanks work great.
24689696645_c210174276_z.jpg
24689694285_b90feab273_z.jpg
24394204630_33a1615c8e_z.jpg
24061532214_d0b1f7a67e_z.jpg

Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

i cheaped out when i saw the price for those barrel adapters and just used the 3/4'' line in between the barrels :mrgreen:
the only other thing we did was to add a 3-way valve in the air line; one direction fills the tank the other direction exhausts
the pcv valve didn't last long, it got so tight we broke the valve stem off, have since gone to a 2'' brass valve

original setup

this is the 3-way valve mounted all air piping is 1/4'' poly tube
we have to run a hose to fill or add water, the guys use the tanks mostly for reserve water to top off the water table
when we clean the table we fill up the table and one barrel, this still allows us room to lower the table for part retrieval
the operator used to over fill the table on a regular basis, after a few squeegee days he has learned to stay close :mrgreen:

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Don't know if I dare show you my new tank, the 2mm steel tank I built under the table had some strange pit hole corroding going on and started leaking so I needed a quick fix.
tank_resize.jpg

Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

SeanP wrote:Don't know if I dare show you my new tank, the 2mm steel tank I built under the table had some strange pit hole corroding going on and started leaking so I needed a quick fix.
tank_resize.jpg
When I move facilities, that's what I'll use!
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

i like it :mrgreen:
wouldn't work to well here in snow country though :lol:
over here those are 330 gal i believe or 6 barrels

i like the valve linkage
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Yes thats a 1000L tank the 600L would have been a better size maybe, certainly don't need to keep topping up due to evaporation now like I had to with the steel tank, I didn't have much leeway there.
It's actually about 3' below the level of the table where it is, that takes a bit more pressure to lift the water, ah it fills pretty quick, I'd say 2mins, draining is faster still I would say.
Yes hope we don't get any serious frost, drained it down the other night as it was getting cool!
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

SeanP wrote: Yes hope we don't get any serious frost, drained it down the other night as it was getting cool!
Of course you would need to find the correct voltage for yours..

http://www.khmfg.com/ultimate-stock-tank-de-icer.html
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

I planed on building a steel tank under the table until I found Ogre's tanks,Thanks. Almost the same design but just couldn't put a valve on the tanks to contain the pressure so here is how I did the penetration.
I fill at 4 psi and try to drain slow. speaking of drain wish I would have put a valve low for that, easy fix.
For the fill pressure I can say mine have been proof tested by the little bride when she screamed I walked in and the water was running from the valeted ceiling down the wall 12 to 13' up. :shock: I shut the air off and drug her out.

PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
allan101
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by allan101 »

[img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img]Here are a few photos of my setup, I welded up a aluminum tank with 2" npt fittings and 1/4 inch npt fitting for under the table,added some air push and pull control valves, a 2" hose from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the table.Excuse the mess in the shop I have a little knife grinder build going on
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
It takes 1:18 seconds to fill and :58 seconds to drain, all the airlines to the valves are 1/4" I built a control panel for the on/off valves which also have 2-highspeed USB ports, all the airlines are 1/4" which I put inside 1" clear vinyl tubing for cable management. I will probably cut the aluminum tank and install a door on the side of the tank with a seal ,so to make cleaning the inside easier if I ever have to. The table is 4'x8'.
Some photos will not load they exceed file limit will try to figure out and post later
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG

DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Building my own version of the PPLLC 5x10 table with water tray. Stole a 100gal heavy duty steel oil tank (44x29x20" rectangle) off CL for $75 a short drive from home at a tractor repair shop (old furnace supply tank). They even forklift-loaded it for me). Scour CL for oil/fuel/hydraulic tanks -- they're out there. Welding a pair of 2" bungs for drain/fill and a single 1/2" bung for air. Might add a pair of bungs for a sight water level. I wanted a steel tank for [1] safety and [2] so I can locate the tank remote and can move water further with more pressure permitted by the steel tank. I'm storing sheet material under my table. Then found a pair of SMC manual push-button valves for pressure filling, and vented draining. No electrical to mess with. Using 1/4" quick connects and flex-line for air from eBay.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

I just fill mine with a garden hose. LOL
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

Mine uses an old air compressor tank laying on its side. Like you said it only takes about three psi to fill my table. Works great for a first build.

islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hello

I am not comfortable with pressurizing non certified vessels. I just use a cheap HF sump pump for filling and gravity draining. The cheap HF sump pump has been running for four years now with no problems. My tank is a 100 gallon stock tank filled to about 90 gal.

John
allan101
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by allan101 »

I originally used a plastic rv water tank, when I put 5 psi into it, it would swell like a balloon ,scared me so I made the aluminum tank . No swelling now

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”