Slag Build Up on Nozzle

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Slag Build Up on Nozzle

Post by jimcolt »

Pierce height and / or pierce delay time are too low / too short. There is nothing else that I am aware of that will do this. Regardless of your settings.....you should physically check pierce height with feeler gauges and if it is too close, then add some height to the book specs to overcome the inaccuracy in your machines surface sensing. Often, plate deflects a bit as well when sensing the surface....then follows the torch back up making the pierce height too close.

One pierce too close will do this to a nozzle. Delay time as well.....if the torch is indexing down from pierce to cut height before the pierce is full through the material...this will happen. If the x or y motion starts before the pierce is fully through, this will happen.

I often will cut 300 to 600 pierces on my cnc with a Powermax85. My cnc uses ohmic sensing and I run the pierce height and pierce delay at exactly book specs. My nozzle and shield stay clean.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Terry
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Slag Build Up on Nozzle

Post by Terry »

I put Nozzle dip from my mig on the tip works great
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Terry wrote:I put Nozzle dip from my mig on the tip works great
That's what I need to do when I get a error that the consumables are sticking! :lol:
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
slong4280
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by slong4280 »

we use good ole wd40 just spray in on the tip an blow it off it really helps on alum
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

Terry wrote:I put Nozzle dip from my mig on the tip works great
I do the same thing.. before the shield would clog before the consumable wore out..with the mig nozzle dip the dross-splatter doesn't stick ..For best results i raise the torch up then manually fire it a few times to get the shield warmed up so you don't end up with to much nozzle dip on there
VPT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by VPT »

I remember you saying that if you have a thicker part with a lot of pierces in it you would run threw and do all the pierces then stop, change or clean the consumables and then go back and cut the parts normally.

On accident while cutting some art stuff on thinner 16 gauge material with fine cut consumables I was running 0 delay pierce. I was surprised that my nozzle/shield has never stayed so clean for so long. But I still see a slight delay because I have the "wait for cutting signal before moving" box checked. I think that slight delay might be perfect for the thinner material.
matze-atze-sch
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by matze-atze-sch »

Hey VPT,

where is the "wait for cutting signal before moving" box?
VPT

Post by VPT »

Sorry, I haven't been on for awhile.

Hope you can see in this pic. At the top right in "Time Delays" the box that says "Wait for cutting signal before moving".

VPT

Post by VPT »

Sorry again, I should add this is on a plasmacam 3.11

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”