Having trouble with programming plate marker

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Having trouble with programming plate marker

Post by ajk2004 »

Good evening everyone,
I am just finishing up building my own CNC machine. I have the C and CNC blade runner with sheetcam and Mach 3. The only thing I have got to yet is I made a circle in Inkscape, brought it to sheetcam, exported the g code to Mach 3 and ran the program and watched my gantry move as if it was cutting. I don't have my plasma hooked up yet, want to know how everything works mechanically before I do that. I have a plate market ready to go but have NO idea how to set it up. I created the tool in sheetcam. When I add the operation and it creates the tool path, i think I am good and I run the post processor. When I get into Mach and hit run, it will move my gantry around like it wants to use my torch. I don't know if this is a Mach question or a c and CNC question. I just don't know where to start. Im not even sure how to check outputs on my c and CNC box. If I manually turn the relay auxiliary on you can hear it click so I know it is working but I don't know how to set it up that the program, either sheetcam or Mach will read the code and turn the solenoid on/off accordingly. Thanks for the help.
Andy
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Having trouble with programming plate marker

Post by Les Newell »

To work a scriber correctly the post needs to know a few things about the scriber such as it's offset from the torch.

In SheetCam go to Options->machine->post processor and click on the 'Edit post' button. Near the start of the file you will probably see a bunch of configuration options. Do any of these options mention a scriber? If not the post is probably not configured for scribing. Tom produces his own posts to go with his controllers so you may need to ask him for a suitable post.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

You don't mention if you have the Ethernet or parralell version but Tom's post that work have "DTHCII & DTHC IV post processor with/without Plate marker" listed. I'm using : rev 11M1 at the moment. And as Les says you have to "edit" the post to put in your offsets from the torch center line.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Look for this in the Post Processor when you get ready to edit

--Scriber X,Y,Z offsets in MILLIMETRES. Do not use inches here even if you want inch code
--For the marker use the scriber Z as the offset from Z zero you want the Z to move to during a scribe.
--Change these values to suit your scriber setup
scriberX = -0.408
scriberY = 48.00
scriberZ = 15.00
--scriber axis. Leave this as nil if the scriber is fixed to the same axis as the torch
scriberAxis = nil

--this value when set to "true" will set the Z to lift to rapid height between paths when using the marker tool.
--if false it will not lift the Z between paths but will at the end
markerZ = true
drillZ = .250
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX

Return to “SheetCam”