proma leaves torch low.

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

proma leaves torch low.

Post by sawdust1 »

Seemed like a good idea at the time, the proma. Slowly beginning to understand how it and other THCs work.

My trigger is wired to the relay up and down. Torch goes up flame goes off, head goes down flame comes on, works well for me.
I have the proma compact. Actually have it working well does a nice job following the steel until I get to the end of the cut.

The computer cannot tell where the THC has been operating the torch for height.
At the end of the cut the torch starts to lift and the flame goes out. The issue is that the torch does not rise to the travel height, it seems to stay at the cut height. The head travels to the next pierce and face plants.

I am open to suggestions!

I have my tip at surface sensor just about built. There are some excellent pieces inside of Cricut cutters!

Much appreciated
David
home built 4x4 watertable. Qcad, SheetCam and Linuxcnc
Miller 375 Cutmate
Lincoln buzz box and a Miller Mig
KNK MAXX vinyl cutter
The adventure started with a Cricut cutter that I hacked.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: proma leaves torch low.

Post by acourtjester »

check the rapid height in SheetCam this is for moving from one cut to the next.
It is under job options
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

@acourtjester
I have my rapid height and clearance both set to 5mm on a 6mm thickness of material. I tried upping the clearances to 7 but then the torch triggers just as it parks and stays on.

I did discover that by giving it a lead out that there is some time after the torch quits for the thc to relinquish control and sheetcam to bring the torch up somewhat. I still have height issues though not as severe, the torch still faceplants.

I was wondering about one of the settings. I am using torch not mill, when asked about material thickness I have entered 6mm. Aside from identifying for myself what I am cutting, the thickness should be irrelevant. I should be able to enter 0 as the actual thickness, am I wrong? The torch measures from the top of the metal when I zero the Z. After I get my spring loaded head in there then each cut will be re-zeroed at the surface.

Always, thank you!
David
Miller 375 Cutmate
KNK MAXX vinyl cutter
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I am not sure but your rapid clearance should be higher then where you start your motion for the metal surface operation.
Move the rapid clearance up to maybe 28 MM.
The setting for material thickness is just for table setup if you are going to move in the negative direct in reference to Z zero so you will not cut below the material bottom not needed for plasma.
Have you put a delay in for the THC to wait for about 1.5 seconds before it starts checking for the arc voltage. That way the arc voltage has time to stabilize then the THC starts correcting the torch height.
rapid.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I had to leave the rapid clearance back where it was BUT! I thought that travelling that distance, it looked wrong. Somehow I had my z distance per revolution wrong! not by much but enough to make things function poorly.

My thc still needs a floating head to work properly, in time.
Tomorrow is the farmers market and I have all my goodies ready to go. I have discovered that large non detail items are more saleable than small very detailed items. I built a few kindling splitters, see how they go.

David
Miller 375 Cutmate
KNK MAXX vinyl cutter

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”