Newbie Wanting to Step Up to a CNC Table

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
teamXDR
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Newbie Wanting to Step Up to a CNC Table

Post by teamXDR »

Ok... A little background about what I have available to me and my plans as of right now...

Within the next 2 weeks I'm looking at purchasing a Plasma Cutter, I have decided on the Powermax 45 due to its pricing, required air input and duty cycle/capacity. For air I have a 27 gallon tank that puts out right at 6.0 cfm @ 80 PSI, which is the min for the powermax 45. I know this is not optimum and may require me to pause a cut file on a CNC every 3-4 minutes. My reason for going with this machine rather than a smaller one later is that I plan to run a cnc table with it. Now you'll say why not just go up to a bigger air compressor, I'm in a rental (military and move allot) and wouldn't be able to run power for a 240v air compressor. However this may end up being an upgrade in the future.. So that is what I have figured out so far and don't plan on changing unless someone/something happens that convinces me otherwise.

Here is the big question.. How to setup a cnc table, DIY, Go Torch, TorchMate, ect... I've been doing allot of research on the Go Torch which people say is made by PlasmaCam. My plan is to get the 2x2 setup for $3k and see how the basic software works for me to test it out. Upgrade cost aren't published anywhere besides on their forums, which you have to own their machine to be a member and see. But from what I gather, there are 2 upgrades that would benefit me, the DesignEdge Deluxe upgrade which I believe is around $1k, and z-axis control which is another $1k putting me at $5k for the table and software. Can anyone confirm if that is accurate or if there is anything against people posting prices for some reason.

For software I have background in SolidWorks and have a license for that software currently. So is there any better options? For a 2x2 table my overall budget is around $5k. I've heard the DIY route is/can be more expensive, but cost could always be cut.

As far as what I plan on using the CNC table for, I plan on cutting primarily 3/16 and 1/4 plate/mild steel to make brackets, tabs and gussets for offroad fabrication.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie Wanting to Step Up to a CNC Table

Post by jimcolt »

I have a GoTorch with advanced height control and advanced Design Edge. It cost about $7200. The advanced height control has ohmic contact material surface sensing....much more accurate than the basic height control and can recalibrate height before every cut. Accurate height is the key to best cut quality and longest consumable parts life in your plasma torch.

With the basic go torch you can import a Solidworks .dxf file and cut it. There is no auto height control, however you can manually set height with an up / down switch on the control panel. This works adequately for cutting one part at a time. The nice thing is that you can upgrade the software and upgrade the height control at any time.

When you get the GoTorch ....keep in mind that you will need to fabricate a base and some sort of slatbed to hold the material being cut. You will also need to enclose the base and use a blower to pull the smoke from cutting out of your work area. Or you could fabricate a water tray to trap the smoke and fumes.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
teamXDR
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by teamXDR »

Thanks for the input Jim.. Been looking at some of your videos/post and learning alot!
teamXDR
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by teamXDR »

Another question on the table to place the GoTorch on, I know the cut area is 2'x2'. If I were to use some 2x2 square tube to frame it out, what dimensions would you suggest for it? Another words, what is the footprint of the GoTorch.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”