Starting a new oven build!

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Cracker Red
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Starting a new oven build!

Post by Cracker Red »

Question for you OldSarge...

If you built another oven would you hang the lights from the ceiling or are you happy with them on the sides?

Did you use those porcelain bulb bases inside the housings or something else?

I'm putting together a 4x4x6 (the size of the local sheets are 4x10) in a similar fashion to yours.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Do you guys leave your oven on at a low temp (80F to 90F) to keep moisture level down?

Guy near me that powder coats swears it cuts his warm up time significantly & he has zero moisture issues . .

Steve :D
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
TMC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TMC »

Oldsarge very impressive build!! Congrats
Talbot Metal Crafting
DynaTorch 4x4 SuperB
Hypertherm PMX 85
Corel 7X
Solid Edge
SheetCam

Easton, Maryland
shinertx
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by shinertx »

Oldsarge wrote:Another good day in the shop! Didn't quite get everything finished I wanted, but did get everything finished I could! :lol:

Got a good deal on 6 feet of heat proof wiring, some glass for the access door, and some other bits & pieces I needed. Bill, sorry I missed you! I was back just shortly after 10, so we probably passed each other on the road!

Got the inside sheeted today, put the 5x10 sheets on the table for the back, and cut out the hole for the fan, and a grate for the return air. Fit like a glove! Then I cut the sides, and included a hole to countersink the light fixtures... Saw this on a build on Ted's site and liked the way it looked, and the fact that no bulbs will be hanging out there for me to break! Installed the fan, and blocked in and sealed the channel to make it air tight for the return air. Also sealed the inside seams with 600 degree caulking.

Tomorrow I'll plus up the hinge corners to support the door, and will frame out the door as well. Hoping to be able to get to some of the wiring as well. Sure wish I didn't mess up on the sheet count!

Oldsarge,

What size of blower fan did you use.
PC Oven 3.jpg
PC Oven 2.jpg
PC Oven 1.jpg
A few more days like today & I should have it wrapped up! Can't wait to fire it up & test it out.... Night all!

Oldsarge
Samson 5x10
Designedge software
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Hypertherm powermax 380
Thermodynamics cut master 85
Jet 4' box & pan break
Eastwood Powder coating guns.
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

akpilot wrote:looking good !!! I built a 4x4x6 oven last year (propane) They are a lot of work but well worth it..
Hello AKPilot,
I realize this is an old thread, but was wondering if would share how you built your propane oven? I am still looking to build a larger oven, and had not considered propane, may be a good way for me to go!
Thanks,
Carl
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
poppopsworkshop
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by poppopsworkshop »

I like the control box. Do you have info on it so I could build one or purchace one complete ?
LakeCruiser
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by LakeCruiser »

Ole Sarge, Can you shoot us a pic of the access door. I have reached that point and need some ideas.
Homemade 36X36 table
Can go from Plasma to Router in 10 Minutes
American Modified Chinese Controller
Proma Electronics THC
Cambam and Mach3
Longevity Forcecut 40D
Miller 211 MIG Welder

Return to “Powder Coat”