HELP Please! Pmax 45 strange noises

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
skyecyn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

HELP Please! Pmax 45 strange noises

Post by skyecyn »

I have had my cutter for about a year and a half, and we just moved to a new home/shop. It worked just fine when I shut/tore down but when I got everything back up and going and rewired I am having issues. First when it would touch off and try to fire the torch I could hear like a poping/clicking sound coming from inside the case constantly repeating like it was trying to fire but couldn't. If I let it keep doing it for a couple of seconds it may fire and cut a really bad cut, other wise I would just stop it. Now today If I try to fire it does nothing but make a crackling sound inside the case and no air movement or anything. Since I have had this unit it has made a crackling sound faintly inside the case at idle and from reading Jim Colt's posts on some forums this seemed to be normal so I did not ever worry about this. But this is the sound I am hearing when it tries to fire now only much louder. Any help would be great. Like I said it worked just fine before we moved it to the new shop.

Thank you!!
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HELP Please!

Post by sphurley »

You might want to post just a "little" info on what you have?
Make//md of table, software running it, Plasma make and md.........
The more info the better help you will get
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
skyecyn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by skyecyn »

Sorry yes I have a Hypertherm Powermax 45 mechanized torch. Running Mach 3 with CandCNC motors and electronics. Scratch built table frame.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The free call to Hypertherm tech service will be well worth it. Tell the tech the symptoms and work with them, there is no group better to help you solve issues with a Hypertherm plasma cutter!

The Powermax45 does make funny internal noises...these are only audible to some as they are produced by the internal inverter at a relatively high frequency (I have never heard it...but after 38 years in this industry I have lost a lot of my higher frequencies). The sounds you are hearing now are described differently....almost sounds like an electrical arcing....which would tempt me to pull off the cover and see where the sound may be coming from. It could also be something plugged or sticking in the internal air plumbing....is air coming out of the torch? Are the cut pressure LED's saying air pressure is correct?

Call tech service!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
skyecyn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: HELP Please! Pmax 45 strange noises

Post by skyecyn »

No error LEDs are showing all normal, no air is coming out of the torch. Yes I am going to call them today but while I was waiting for them to open I posted on here to see if by chance someone else had the same problem. I am going to call them soon. Thanks again.
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: HELP Please! Pmax 45 strange noises

Post by davek0974 »

Maybe pull the cover and give it a blow out with the air line?

Might be some muck got dislodged in the move.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”