Mach3 and G540 BOB setup on new table

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Searchman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Mach3 and G540 BOB setup on new table

Post by Searchman »

I am looking for help to get a CNC plasma table up and running. I purchased a Lightning CNC table from a bankruptcy sale. I knew I would be on my own, with no help from the manufacturer. The Mach3 software I received that was loaded on the computer was pirated. Not surprised !! As well as Sheetcam.
What I liked about the basic components is that they were all " off the shelf " components. prior to the purchase I had no CNC experience. NONE !! It has been a year since obtaining the table. Since I have purchased a license for Mach3 and Sheetcam. I have read numerous articles on Mach3 and CNC. The most difficult thing to find is a users group that is specifically geared toward Mach3 that is geared toward plasma set up only. I realize that Mach3 is adaptable for router, mill and laser setups, but I need help with a plasma setup.
The version of Mach3 that was pre loaded on the computer I purchased with the table is an older version and does not have a plasma specific setting. The profile that is set up is a router profile. I want to use a later version of mach3.
The BOB is a Gecko G540.
I loaded the latest version of mach3 on a separate computer and loaded the XML profile from the older version of Mach3. I could get the jog function to work, but only 1 stepper motor ran on the Y axis and the keys to move the gantry were different than the original Mach3 computer.
These are some of the issues I am having. I realize I need to start from scratch and re enter the setting in the Mach3 profile.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Mach3 and G540 BOB setup on new table

Post by tcaudle »

Get the G540 profile for MACH from either the Gecko support forum or possibly from MACH3. Most of those tables did not have a working THC or even a flotaing torch holder to use for touch off. The Profile has to match the G540 for all of the ports and pins. If youhave an old profile that worked pull it up and make note of all the Ports & PIns/inputs and Outputs and the Motor Ouput tabs. As far as making it into a usable plasma cutter it may take more than just software. You can try by using the MACH plasma screen set once you get the motion right and the MACH Plasma POST in SheetCAM (that has no auto touch off code in it) if you do have a way to touch off and find the top-of-material then you can use several plasma posts for MACH that have THC in the name. It will at least put in the touch off sequence

So to sum it up
1. Match the MACH PROFILE (XML) to your G540
2. Pick a SheetCAM post for MACH and plasma
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Mach3 and G540 BOB setup on new table

Post by sphurley »

In Mach 3 under config you will find Slave Axis. This is where you will "slave" your A stepper to your Y if that is the configuration you want.
Under motor tuning you will need to make sure you tune the motors the same (and save axis setting as you go)
Steve
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”