PM45 questions

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

PM45 questions

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

I've been having some pretty good success with the table lately and the Powermax has been running pretty good. Until it decided that it would fault and I couldn't figure it out. Problem was the over temp light flashed on and off and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to clear the fault. Checked the fan inside to make sure it was connected, checked to see if the power supply or anything in the unit was noticeably hot. Nothing. Anyway it just fixed itself after the case went back on. So there's one problem, is there something I should be looking into with this?

In opening up the case etc, I noticed that I've been running the unit on the perforated sheet cutting setting the whole time. I was a bit concerned, I thought I had set it to normal plate cutting. I changed it to plate cutting and carried on. Every pierce or two on the plate cutting setting it now strikes the arc and then I get a volts at tip error and it stops, or it finishes the cut and then it faults on tip volts. I put it back to perforated and it works like a charm. How does one fix this to make it work on the plate cutting setting. I'm not sure if this affects the consumable life, and if it's working now should I really need to change it?

Probably unrelated to the Powermax unit itself, but it seems that when doing a lot of piercing it likes to strike the arc and then it loses it. No torch voltage error that I could see. But it seems that the compressor kicks back in and if I let it run up to pressure and start the line of g code again it all works out. Is my self diagnosis of low air pressure right? Will the arc drop out if there is now air pressure?

My only other issue I've had with it has been consumable life. Especially nozzles. I have changed some settings, torch height in regards to z switch offset, and it seems to be working ok. I did a job with 3mm sheet and 150 pierces with a new nozzle and electrode after the change, and they still look pretty good. No burning around the tip of the nozzle and the electrode just has those nice looking swirl-ey arc witness marks. Fingers crossed this will help.

On a general note about the machine, I have the air pressure screwed all the way up so the indicator light is all the way to the top. Just worked out that if I turn the amperage dial all the way to the left then I get the air purging itself and this is how I set the pressure of the unit. Is it required that the pressure needs to be up all the way?

Thanks in advance

Ben
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PM45 questions

Post by jimcolt »

The Tip volts error is not a Hypertherm error....must be your machine software detecting incorrect arc voltage. Yes, the Powermax45 will shut the arc off if the inlet air pressure gets below 85 psi. It is tough on consumables, especially the nozzle, if you run in the continuous pilot mode (expanded metal).

I suggest:

-Install a pressure gauge hard plumbed at the rear panel inlet.
- Turn the amperage knob counter clockwise (fully), the air will flow at the torch. When it is flowing....the inlet pressure must be between 90 and 120 psi. While it is flowing...adjust the regulator so the front panel LEDs are satisfied. If you crank the regulator fully open, expect shorter than normal electrode life and misfires.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: PM45 questions

Post by davek0974 »

I do a fair bit of 3mm, mostly arty stuff so lots of pierces and less cut, I regularly get well over 400 pierces from a set of consumables. I always keep the centre green led on when setting the pressure with air flowing.

Are you using a CandCNC THC unit? They have the tip volts error and can be made to stop on low or high volts, if so it sounds like yours may be set too tightly.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”