Air tubing feeding Plasma Table

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Air tubing feeding Plasma Table

Post by sphurley »

This is likely a Jim question. I think I screwed up when I build by table. I installed a desiccant filter followed by a charcoal filter and into a manifold for distribution on the table.
Were I might have blown it is, the air hose couples into the desiccant filter and then everything past it is using 1/4" OD tubing (.170" ID) to connect them all including the PM65.

The question is: Is the 1/4" OD tubing too small for the CFM? (it looks really nice)
Thanks Steve
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Air tubing feeding Plasma Table

Post by urbnsr »

I think I have read of others going larger. Especially up to the filters. But it's a good idea to install a pressure gauge just before the inlet of your PM65 and let it tell you if it's enough. Especially monitor it when the torch first fires to see how far the air pressure drops. I suspect it will drop quite a bit and if your pressure is static at no more than the PM's maximum input, it might drop too much. I wouldn't increase the static pressure past maximum trying to keep the minimum high enough for the PM to not error out.

I have 1/2" line to my filters and it then reduces to 3/8" as far as I could go (Through the manifold) and then 1/4" ID to the cutter. I would have stayed at 3/8" upto the cutter, but couldn't find 3/8" fittings. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Plus, my PM has 1/4" inlet, so it's going to go through 1/4" sooner or later. My 120-125PSI static pressure does not drop under 100PSI when the torch fires. Of course, I'm at the mercy of the accuracy of the gauge, too.

HTH
Paul
Last edited by urbnsr on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

You need at least a 3/8" ID hose (up to 50' length) and 1/2" ID with longer lengths. 1/4" is definitely too small.

Keep in mind that every filter, moisture trap, etc will create an air line restriction that can affect the inlet flow to the plasma. Installing a pressure gauge right at the plasma inlet is imporrtant to ensure adequate pressure when air is flowing at the torch.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Thanks for the response everyone. I guess I'm a plumber again today.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”