PM65 height question

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

PM65 height question

Post by btburn »

I have a Dynatorch Super Bee and I just put a Hypertherm PM65 on my table.

I'm still fine tuning the new PM65 to my table and getting everything set up.

A couple of times when I've been cutting the height will go way higher than it should for just one or 2 cuts.

I was cutting 3/16" with the 65amp nozzle with the speed set to 126 (a hair slower than book for corner detail) and the voltage for THC set to 126. It did the first dozen or so cuts fine then the height mid cut went to a height of around 1/4". I lowered the voltage setting to 115 and on the next cut it cut a hair lower than the first cuts.

My question is do you thing this is the torch or the table?
Any fix ideas?

Thanks
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PM65 height question

Post by jimcolt »

The height is controlled by the height control electronics and software on your Dynatorch....it uses the arc voltage as measured between the electrode and the work clamp as the feedback mechanism to maintain proper height. The plasma arc voltage is not controlled by the power supply....rather it is controlled by the length of the plasma arc.

I would say that maybe a setting (arc voltage) got accidentally changed in your Dynatorch software (learning curve issue maybe?)

Jim Colt Hypertherm

btburn wrote:I have a Dynatorch Super Bee and I just put a Hypertherm PM65 on my table.

I'm still fine tuning the new PM65 to my table and getting everything set up.

A couple of times when I've been cutting the height will go way higher than it should for just one or 2 cuts.

I was cutting 3/16" with the 65amp nozzle with the speed set to 126 (a hair slower than book for corner detail) and the voltage for THC set to 126. It did the first dozen or so cuts fine then the height mid cut went to a height of around 1/4". I lowered the voltage setting to 115 and on the next cut it cut a hair lower than the first cuts.

My question is do you thing this is the torch or the table?
Any fix ideas?

Thanks
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: PM65 height question

Post by btburn »

Thanks, Quite possibly, I've been running with a miller for the last year and it wasn't as touchy with water affecting the Ohmic function which I have turned off right now. I've been just lowering the voltage number from the book for the THC and keeping an eye on it for the height.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”